cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD Optimizer stops working after upgrading to Windows 8

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Back when I had Windows 7 x64, the Intel SSD Optimizer worked fine, but after upgrading to Windows 8, I can no longer use it. It tells me that "The Intel SSD Toolbox cannot communicate with the selected Intel SSD. Consider changing to another storage driver compatible with your system and try the tool again.". On the Home page, the SSD appears correctly with the correct model and serial number. SMART also works too.

The SSD I have is an Intel SSD 520 120GB and my mobo is a Gigabyte P55A-UD3. The SSD is connected via the Marvell 9128 Controller and I've set the "GSata Ctrl Mode" in the BIOS to AHCI, as it was when I had Windows 7. I've tried installing the latest Marvell 91xx Controller drivers and it doesn't seem to be working. I've also updated Intel SSD Toolbox to the latest version, 3.1.1.

Any ideas as to what is happening?

2 REPLIES 2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I had the same issue. After installing the SSD Toolbox and during any attempt to optimize Windows would hard crash. I managed to fix the issue by updating my motherboard bios and downloading the latest RSTe drivers from Gigabytes website (I have a G1 Assassin 2 board).

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The problem is the Marvell SATA controller. You were lucky to have the Toolbox work with your SSD on the Marvell controller, that does not always happen.

You could try changing the driver on the Marvell controller to the Windows 8 storahci driver, although I'm not sure if it is compatible. The Windows 7 msahci driver is compatible.

If you put your SSD on the Intel SATA II ports, the Toolbox would work fine.