cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 2500 Pro: Help Changing AES Key

FAuge
New Contributor

Hi and thanks in advance for any help.

Toolbox 3.3.3 recognizes the drive but doesn't allow for secure erase because "Secure Erase cannot be run on the selected drive because it is not a supported feature under Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012". Will secure erase change the cryptographic key?

Running SSDProAdminTool 1.1.1 with -drive_list returns "No supported devices found". Will -secure_erase change the cryptographic key?

The drive was diskpart CLEAN and then initialized with GPT.

2 REPLIES 2

TYan3
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

"Enhanced Secure Erase" should regen the key AFAIK. "Secure Erase" only do things similar to a full TRIM.

In Linux (with hdparm) the drive cannot be secure erased if it's "frozen". One way I recall to avoid that is to enable HotPlug of the SATA port in BIOS/UEFI, and connect the drive AFTER boot. Never tried to do a secure erase in Windows so no idea if this is the case you're experiencing.

FAuge
New Contributor

Yes, I'm trying to do a secure erase in Windows 8. I believe this is impossible but it'd be nice if someone with more knowledge on the subject could confirm.

I'm not against using hdparm (or something like Parted Magic) but I'd like to learn new tools on a need-to-know basis. I'm hoping someone on this forum can advise on the best way to use Toolbox and SSDProAdminTool.

I'm (somewhat) aware that Windows (especially 8 and later) is intentionally making my life harder than it should.

Any help is very appreciated.