cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel S3500 1.6TB with G2010141 firmware update

PKoc
New Contributor

Hello.

I have Intel DC S3500 HD 1.6TB drive, model SSDSC2BB016T40. The drive has SA: H39692-302. The drive contains firmware G2010141. I want to update to latest G2010150 but all Intel tools, namely the SSD Toolbox, Data Center Tool and Firmware update tool report the drive has the latest firmware and won't update it (all tools in latest versions).

I contacted Intel support through chat some time ago and they told me this is a HP drive. I have contacted both HP and HPE and both say it is not their drive. The fact is there is no markings on the label to indicate HP (or any other brand) and the drive comes with firmware that follows Intel generic firmware naming rather than HP (such as 4IWVHPG0), Dell (DLxx) or Lenovo (D201LD10) specific firmware. To me this drive looks like an original Intel drive. In fact even Intel in his INTEL-SA-00050 security bulletin says Intel S3500 drives come with G2010141 firmware.

Will Intel release a tool that will update this drive from G2010141 to latest G2010150?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

Just to summarize what we have discussed here, our tools don’t recognize the firmware G2010141 as a previous release version, so they won’t allow to update it to G2010150. 

Regards,

Diego V.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

DiegoV_Intel
Contributor II
Hi PKoc, Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities. Could you please take a picture of the drive label so that I can investigate why you are not able to update the firmware? Make sure the picture is clear enough to see the serial number. I’ll be waiting for your response. Have a nice day. Regards, Diego V. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation

DiegoV_Intel
Contributor II

Hi PKoc,

Additionally, I would like to know if the drive had the firmware G2010141 from the very beginning, or if you updated it at some point to this version.

Regards,

Diego V.

PKoc
New Contributor

imageSure, the photo is here. I wrote the data for you:

ISN: BTWD5350003M1P6HGN

SA: H39692-302

PBA: H28039-302

Model: SSDSC2BB016T4

WWN: 55CD2E404C0C1619

The drive has sticker "G2010141" over the original paper cover. On the original is "G2010150". Maybe it was downgraded in the past but I can't tell - I bought it in this state.

Best regards,

Petr

DiegoV_Intel
Contributor II

Thank you for the picture and the information Petr.

What I’m thinking based on your information is that the reason why you are getting from the tools that you have the latest firmware version is precisely because of the G2010141 firmware version. It may be possible that the tools only recognize the firmware G2010140 as the old (previous) one, but the firmware G2010141 is tagged by default as a last/newer version with no upgrades available. If you see the INTEL-SA-00050 bulletin, all firmware versions end in 0: xxx100, xxx110, xxx120, xxx130, xxx140, xxx150, but only this one ends different so it may be possible that this firmware code wasn’t included in the tools, and was only flashed into the drive for some special situation.

Anyhow, this is just a quick conclusion from my side. Please let me investigate about this to get further details.

I’ll share my updates as soon as possible.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.