cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel Data Migration SW - using the "emergency boot disk"

mport4
New Contributor

RE-STATED the Original POST: See the following:

Regarding the Intel Data Migration Software (IDMS) v.2.0. I installed IDMS v.2 on my PC. I choose to create and use an IDMS "emergency" boot disk (EBD) as discussed in Appendix A of the IDMS User Guide . I created the EBD from within the IDMS v.2 installed on my PC. The EBD includes a standalone version of the IDMS files, stored in a single folder on the EBD.

I have been un-successful in running the EBD as it freezes up during the loading process. My PC uses an UEFI with an ASUS P8Z77-V motherboard, and Windows8x64Pro. The PC system employs W8 Secure Disk, and the system disk is formatted with a GPT. Intel states in its IDMS User Guide that the IDMS now supports "W8 systems with GUID Partition Table (GPT) and uEFI bios". The IDMS includes a Acronis UEFI Loader that is employed during the use of the EBD. I should be able to start, boot, load, and run the EBD by simply choosing to boot my PC from the UEFI-CD/DVD drive containing the EBD. However, I have been repeatedly un-successful in running the EBD as it freezes up during the "loading" process every time.......!!

-----------------------------------------------------------

thank you. your assistance will be most appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

It is recommended for both drives to be connected to the main SATA controller, Intel® Z77 Chipset. Probably some boot options in BIOS are interfering, such as secure boot.

thank you for a reply joe...

I read the latest complete .pdf guide for v.2 of IDMS carefully b4 using the software...

while I understand that IDMS is a basic freeware program, my questions are not outside the use of the IDMS per the IDMS User Guide.

My question concerns attempting to use the IDMS emergency boot disk, booting from the IDMS "emergency disk" and loading the IDMS included on the emergency boot disk as outlined in IDMS User Guide Appendix 1.

thanks,

mp

Message was edited by pm: 11.9.2013

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

I changed some of those BIOS settings in my system and it always booted, even without the drives connected, then it gave me an error message about the missing drives but after it booted to GUI, this means that the rescue disk does not take any boot information from the other drives during the boot process. I suspect it is a compatibility issue with the storage controller.

joe,

replying to part of your statement, beginning with: "this means that the rescue disk does not take any boot information from the other drives during the boot process. I suspect it is a compatibility issue with the storage controller."

my apologies but I am a bit confused about the use of the word "drives" in your post.

however, are you saying that a working W8PC, using a UEFI with Secure Boot enabled, *should boot from the IDMS emergency bootable disk with *no changes required to the existing UEFI settings at all...?

and, Is the storage controller part of the CPU and/or the chipset?

If so, I failed to mention in my original post (now revised and simplified) that the ASUS MB I have uses an Intel I5-3530K CPU and an Intel Z-77 chip.

thank you

mporter