cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel AHCI driver for IBM ThinkPad X60s laptop

DAndr17
New Contributor

Hi All,

Where can I obtain the right Intel AHCI driver for use with IBM ThinkPad X60s laptop (Mobile Intel 945GM chipset / ICH7-M southbridge) with SATA set to AHCI mode in BIOS? I understand this driver (iastor.sys?) is part of Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver pack - should I just take the latest version 14.8.0.1042 of RST Driver dated 12/14/2015 available at Downloads?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver Download Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver

Also could anyone please confirm if this driver is better than storahci.sys I have now, and ideally explain what exactly at? The SSD in this X60s is Intel X25-M G1, so I'd personally expect Intel driver to do better.

Many thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

DmitriyA,

We understand you would like to get the best driver for your system to work with SATA mode as AHCI, we can recommend to you to use the one provided from the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) webiste.

In your case, it seems the driver is only available for Windows* 7, here is the website for you to verify: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x60... Laptops :: ThinkPad X Series laptops :: X60 Laptop (ThinkPad) - Lenovo Support (US) you may need to change the OS option and then select storage as component.

That is the recommended driver, the storahci.sys is the operating system's driver.

DAndr17
New Contributor
nestor_intel:

There's no Storage component when I switch product to X60s no matter which OS I choose. I can only see it when using the link for X60 you supplied. The only driver there is Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver version 8.9.2.1002 dated 2009/12/07, formally compatible with Windows versions up to 7. Tried installing it on my X60s running Windows 8.1 (same chipset as X60) and got Intel(R) ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller with driver iaStor.sys v8.9.2.1002 dated 07/08/2009 installed. Could you please confirm that it's the most recent driver from Intel for X60/X60s indeed and no newer MSM/RST drivers will work? Does it support TRIM for a single non-RAID SSD? Details on any differences in functionality, performance etc. between this driver and default one from Microsoft would be very much appreciated.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

DmitriyA,

As for our driver, this is the latest one we have: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/17762/Intel-R-Matrix-Storage-Manager-V8-9-0-1023 Download Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager V8.9.0.1023 you can try it but we recommend to keep the one provided by the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer).

Please let us know if you require more assistance.

nestor_intel:

Thanks for double checking that. I'll then stick to my current one provided by the OEM as its version/date are more recent somehow.

Thanks & Regards,

D.