cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 750 : high read latency

NMICH1
New Contributor

Hello,

I am using a 400gb Intel 750 (pcie card) on a Z97 board.

Using AS SSD, I find that the read latency is about 4 times higher than what I see from reviews (0.08ms vs 0.02ms). The write latency is ok. The 0.02ms seems in line with the specs of the drive, so it appears that my system is slow.

I tried moving to the CPU lanes to see if that was a factor. As expected, I got a nice boost in seq read, but no change in latency :

Example from the web (Google image search for "intel 750 asssd") :

Any idea of what I should look for to obtain "normal" read latencies ? I tried disabling real-time protection in Windows Defender, but no change there.

Platform :

Windows 10 AU

NVME driver 1.7

Intel 4790k

16 Gb RAM

Maximus VII Hero (Z97)

Intel 750 400Gb

13 REPLIES 13

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Latenic,

We are going to check this for you and will advise very soon. In the mean time, if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.Best regards,Aleki

NMICH1
New Contributor

Thanks !

I've tried disabling all the Windows file filters I could, but I couldn't get the latency to budge.

I ran a complete check using SSD Toolbox, the drive appears healthy.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Latenic,

Thank you for your time. Taking advantage of the direct path from the storage to the CPU by means of NVMe, the Intel®SSD 750 Series exhibits low latency of less than 20 μs for sequential accesses. See the http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-specifications/ssd-750-spec.pdf Intel® Solid-State Drive 750 Series Product Specification on page # 9 for more information.For further information on this you can also check this documentation:http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/ssdc/hpssd/ssd-750/sb/intel_ssd_750_series_... Intel® Solid-State Drive 750 Series - Evaluation Guide from page # 13 on where it shows the method used by Intel for accurate results.Please, let us know if this helped you.Best regards,Aleki

NMICH1
New Contributor

Hello,

This did not help.

Unless I'm mistaken, the linked guide only shows how to measure throughput - not latency (in fact, in the screenshots in the guide, average latency is above 3ms).

Is there a guide on how to measure the 20 μs latency ?

(I ran the iometer setup in the guide, the result is below)