cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 750 AIC vs 2.5 in performance in random read workload

CPalm5
New Contributor

My application is graphics rendering with dozens (up to several hundred) files each in the 10-25MB size range read randomly and repeatedly during a render.

Is there a performance comparison between the AIC (direct PCIE 3.0 x16) and the 2.5 in (PCIE x4/SAS/SATA Express)? Intuition leans me toward the AIC being the better option, but I would like to have that x16 slot available for other things.

Current plans are to use an ASUS z170 Deluxe motherboard with an Intel I6700K processor running windows 10. If I use the 2.5 in version I intend to use the ASUS Hyperkit m.2 adapter to connect the Intel 750.

I would appreciate any input and feedback to help determine which version of the Intel 750 to choose, but particularly performance comparisons under similar workloads.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello PalmerCliff,

Both versions of the Intel® SSD 750 Series are PCIe* Gen3 x4 devices with NVMe interface. The performance specs are the same for both models. The advertised performance is stated in page 8 if the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/solid-state-drives/ssd-750-spec.html Intel® SSD 750 Series Product Specification.

The motherboard you are considering should be able to handle either version of the drive.

Here is a quick description of the 2 form factors, please check the Product Specification document linked above for details:

- The Add-in card is Half-height Half-length and requires a single slot x4 connector, you could use the x16 slots for other devices.

- The 2.5-inch form factor requires the computer to have a U.2 compatible connector like the ASUS Hyperkit* (allowing the PCIe* Gen 3 x4 connection with a M.2 adapter, and SFF-8639 to Mini-SAS HD connector cable)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello PalmerCliff,

Both versions of the Intel® SSD 750 Series are PCIe* Gen3 x4 devices with NVMe interface. The performance specs are the same for both models. The advertised performance is stated in page 8 if the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/solid-state-drives/ssd-750-spec.html Intel® SSD 750 Series Product Specification.

The motherboard you are considering should be able to handle either version of the drive.

Here is a quick description of the 2 form factors, please check the Product Specification document linked above for details:

- The Add-in card is Half-height Half-length and requires a single slot x4 connector, you could use the x16 slots for other devices.

- The 2.5-inch form factor requires the computer to have a U.2 compatible connector like the ASUS Hyperkit* (allowing the PCIe* Gen 3 x4 connection with a M.2 adapter, and SFF-8639 to Mini-SAS HD connector cable)

Thank you Jonathan - that was exactly what I needed.