cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 660p Driver - IaNVMe.sys - Causing frequent BSOD crashes

AZitr
New Contributor

I am facing daily BSOD's on a Latitude 5480, which always point to the SSD's driver. I've updated it through Intel's website, but the PC still crashes on a regular basis, still pointing to the same driver (ianvme.sys - NVMe Storport Miniport Driver - x64, Intel Corporation). This is shown through BlueScreenView and WhoCrashed.

Any advice? I'm a bit at wits-end at this point.

12 REPLIES 12

BrusC_Intel
Contributor III

Hello, AZitr.

Good day,

Thank you for contacting the Intel Community Support.

Sometimes the fact the driver is crashing doesn't necessarily mean a problem with the driver itself, it could be related to compatibility, corrupted OS, hardware issues or other, sometimes replacing components or performing a clean OS installation is required.

Is the 660p the drive that originally came pre-installed in the system?

Have you performed any type of hardware or operating system changes?

Have you tried to check the website of the system manufacturer to make sure you have the latest updates (BIOS/Chipset/Drivers)? the drivers we offer In the Intel website are generic drives, designed to work in most systems, we recommend you to contact the system manufacturer for drivers specifically tailored for your system.

Let me know if you can provide a system report using the Intel SSU so I can take a look at your system details:

- Intel SSU download: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

Thanks Bruce. The 660p was not the preinstalled drive - however, Latitude 5480's support NVME drives. The RAM was replaced with 32gb of like speeds as well. I've updated all drivers to the most current on the Dell website for the 5480 as well - the scan tool says all drivers are up to date. They do not have a driver for NVME drives as far as I know.

I've attached the scan results from SSU. Thanks!

BrusC_Intel
Contributor III

Hello, AZitr.

Thank you for the response and the system report.

The report seems fine, I see the BIOS is on the latest version 1.6 and OS is currently on build 1903 with a possible update on its way.

Regarding the SSD itself, did you perform a clean OS installation or did you migrate/clone the system?. performing a clean install is a drastic, yet simple way (in some cases) to discard a possible OS issue.

Depending on the OEM, each system will have a list of compatible, tested or preferred hardware; the original drive may even be a special version with custom firmware including some adjustments for the system where it will be implemented. It's recommended to contact your system manufacturer before performing hardware changes in OEM systems, even if your system supports NVMe drives there could be limitations.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

Thanks. When I first installed it I did a clean OS install, but would rather not wipe the drive again as there are quite a few installed programs on it (and no guarantee that is the issue).

I've have the drive for a few months now, and this issue only started 2 weeks ago. So I'm fairly confident it's not a compatibility issue in terms of the NVME drive, and it's a Latitude - they generally fare very well with hardware changes as they are business laptops. The preinstalled drive was a standard WD Black 500gb, but I don't think there was any specific firmware on that.