cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 600p SSD not detected

RHauw
New Contributor

Recently bought all components to build a PC for a buddy of mine.

Now that I've assembled the PC i can't seem to detect the 600p SSD

The following components are installed:

MSI B150 PC MATE motherboard

Intel 600p SSD 256gb

16gb DDR4 Hyper X Fury

nVidia GeForce GTX 1070

Intel i5-6400

Before buying I checked the Intel website and saw that the motherboard does support the SSD

Is this a known issue? is there a fix for this?

8 REPLIES 8

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello RickHauwert,

We understand you need to install the SSD 600p series in the MSI B150 PC Mate motherboard, but the drive is not detected at all.-First of all, what is the operating system you would like to install?-Is the SSD not detected in BIOS?-We do suggest to contact MSI, as checking the specs of the motherboard, it seems the board comes with one M.2 slot, but it does not say it supports NVMe* interface.Sometimes, a BIOS update of the motherboard may help, but we strongly recommend to contact them before running it. Once you have it updated, try to verify if it is detected.We couldn't find anywhere the specs of the motherboard that refers to the M.2 slot be compatible with PCIe & SATA, it seems it is only SATA, so that means it won't see this SSD at all.Let us know once you contact them so we can further assist you.Regards,Nestor C

DBran4
New Contributor

Similarly, I have an HP ProDesk 600 G1 Mini which has an M.2 PCIe slot that is supposed to use NVMe drives. The PCIe x4 slot is enabled in the BIOS but the Intel 600P does not show up anywhere. An old Windows 7 installation can't see it either and when I installed the MS NVMe Hotfix the system boots inconsistently. When it does boot, it sees the drive, which is nice, but I really want to use it as a boot drive. So at least I know the SSD works and is usable in Windows 7 for storage anyway.

However, my use for the 600P is as my boot drive so I decided to try installing Windows 10 which comes with an NVMe driver. When installing Windows 10 from a USB, Windows 10 sees the 600P, formats it, but then says it cannot install Windows because the BIOS cannot select it as a boot drive. I have flashed the latest BIOS. HP is useless and will not provide any help. Any ideas here?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi DaveB954,

In your case, it will be important to know from HP* if the system can boot from this M.2 NVMe* drive. Since the drive is detected fine by the Windows® 10 installation, this means the system does support or reads the NVMe* drives, but may be possible that it is limited for storage only.We would like to research on this as well as we normally don't get this kind of situations, we'll keep you posted here.Regards,Nestor C

DBran4
New Contributor

Thanks for the response. As I previously reported, with the MS Hotfix applied, the drive is seen and can be used a second drive. However, I purchased the smaller 128GB because I wanted to use it just as a boot drive and the only setting in the BIOS directly related to the M.2 PCIe x4 slot is a Slot Enable/Disable. It is quite frustrating because only a few lines of code are required in the BIOS to allow booting of an NVMe PCIe device.