cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intel 600p - hardware based encryption under win 10 pro?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

I just installed Intel 600p 256GB drive into Dell e5470 laptop with no other drives and when turning on bitlocker encryption it choose software based encryption.

Is there a known issue with Win 10 Pro v1607 or does the drive need a firmware update? Am i missing a step?

Side note, Intel SSD Toolbox is unable to access SMART info for drive, is that again because software update is necessary? The only change made to Windows is to enable Hyper-V. Nothing else is installed in host OS.

- UEFI mode only

- legacy/csm disabled

- secure boot enabled.

- TPM 2.0

Booted off thumbdrive to install Win 10 Pro x64 v1607.

Before install, i choose repair->... cmd shell->diskpart->clean->convert gpt (though it showed up as unitialized disk already)

After install had finished and system had all updates from Windows Update,(nothing broken in Device Manager) i enabled Bitlocker encryption but my only option was the software based encryption.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]

(c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>manage-bde -status

BitLocker Drive Encryption: Configuration Tool version 10.0.14393

Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Disk volumes that can be protected with

BitLocker Drive Encryption:

Volume C: []

[OS Volume]

Size: 237.92 GB

BitLocker Version: 2.0

Conversion Status: Fully Encrypted

Percentage Encrypted: 100.0%

Encryption Method: XTS-AES 128

Protection Status: Protection On

Lock Status: Unlocked

Identification Field: Unknown

Key Protectors:

TPM

Numerical Password

C:\Windows\system32>

Did i miss a step?

thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Hjsd68s,

We would like you to please check the following https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/keep-secure/bitlocker-overview link that explains the details on configuring BitLocker* on Windows® 10, this may be useful.About the Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox, this software is not available yet for the Intel® SSD 600P, we will be letting you know as soon as the new software is available.Any questions, please let us know.Regards,NC

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello hjsd68s,

We would like to check on this situation with the SSD Intel® Solid State Drive 600p and the encryption using Bitlocker* software, this, because this is a consumer drive. We will provide updates soon.

Our drives come with hardware encryption AES 256bit done at the drive level.

About the Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox, we are checking with our team in order to verify the situation with the SMART details, we will keep you posted as well.

Regards,

NC

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Hjsd68s,

We would like you to please check the following https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/keep-secure/bitlocker-overview link that explains the details on configuring BitLocker* on Windows® 10, this may be useful.About the Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox, this software is not available yet for the Intel® SSD 600P, we will be letting you know as soon as the new software is available.Any questions, please let us know.Regards,NC

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks, i found https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/keep-secure/encrypted-hard-drive Encrypted Hard Drive (Windows 10) over the weekend which has:

Warning: Self-Encrypting Hard Drives and Encrypted Hard Drives for Windows are not the same type of device. Encrypted Hard Drives for Windows require compliance for specific TCG protocols as well as IEEE 1667 compliance; Self-Encrypting Hard Drives do not have these requirements. It is important to confirm the device type is an Encrypted Hard Drive for Windows when planning for deployment.

From that i am guessing 600p is not eDrive compatible? Will a firmware update bring that?

I have already followed the guidelines for creating custom partition layout with new size recommendations, 350MB EFI/System, 16MB MSR, Windows, Recovery, until i read above and realized what "manage-bde -on -fet hardware c:" was telling me...

Thanks for the SSD Toolbox information. I also found http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/solid-state-drives/ssd-600p-brief.html Accelerate Performance with Intel® Solid State Drive 600p Series with the product brief containing note:

9. Toolbox available November 2016.

Disk layout I used where it still says hardware encryption not available:

# Create new install

select disk #

clean

convert gpt

# System partition, 1GB, new eDrive recommendation: 350MB

create partition efi size=1024

format quick fs=fat32 label="System"

# MSR microsoft reserved partition, used to be 128MB

create partition msr size=16

# Windows partition

create partition primary

# minus 10GB for recovery

shrink minimum=10240

format quick fs=ntfs label="Windows"

# Recovery tools partition, very wasted space for now

create partition primary

format quick fs=ntfs label="Recovery"

set id="de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac"

gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001

list volume

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello hjsd68s,

According to the eDrive functionality, the only drives we have with this feature are the Pro version SSDs, for example: Intel® Solid State Drive Pro 5400s, Intel® Solid State Drive Pro 2500 and Intel® Solid State Drive Pro 6000p.The drive you have is a consumer SSD and it only comes with self-encryption.Thanks for the links provided as well, any questions please let us know.Regards,NC