cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 540s not booting

ABdex
New Contributor

Hello forum,

I've just purchased an Intel 540s 240GB SSD with the intention of replacing my system HDD.

The steps I've taken to achieve the replacement are:

1) I downloaded the Toolbox (v 3.3.6) and it indicated I needed to update the firmware, however only the FUT would be able to do that.

2) Your website: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18363 Download Intel® SSD Firmware Update Tool advises FUT v 2.1.2 is not latest but v 2.1.3 is undergoing maintenance.

3) Downloaded FUT v 2.1.2 and attempted to update 540s firmware however FUT v 2.1.2 advises firmware is up to date.

4) Downloaded Data Migration Software v 3.1 and cloned my system HDD using recommended settings

5) Reset BIOS to boot from SSD -> machine fails to boot

6) Reset BIOS to boot from old system HDD -> machine boots.

I've previously replaced 3 system HDDs with Intel 530 SSDs quickly and with no problem, but I've wasted a couple of days trying in vain to get this 540s working.

It looks like the 540s shouldn't have been released to market if the firmware is so bad.

My question: Is the inability to boot from the 540s related to the 'out of date' firmware as diagnosed by the Toolbox (v3.3.6) and my issue will be fixed with the updated firmware?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Alexbdex,

We understand you are having no booting issues with your new SSD, you have cloned the drive and it won't boot up.First, we would like to let you know this is not related to the firmware, we have installed several SSDs with the current firmware. Most of the times, when you do the cloning, it may be possible the BIOS is not configured correctly or it needs an update as well.One thing we can recommend is to try another third party tool to clone the drive, just in case. You may try http://download.easeus.com/free/tb_free.exe EaseUS*.As a last resource, is there any way for you to run a clean install? - This will be in order to make sure it is indeed working.Please let us know.NC

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Alexbdex,

We understand you are having no booting issues with your new SSD, you have cloned the drive and it won't boot up.First, we would like to let you know this is not related to the firmware, we have installed several SSDs with the current firmware. Most of the times, when you do the cloning, it may be possible the BIOS is not configured correctly or it needs an update as well.One thing we can recommend is to try another third party tool to clone the drive, just in case. You may try http://download.easeus.com/free/tb_free.exe EaseUS*.As a last resource, is there any way for you to run a clean install? - This will be in order to make sure it is indeed working.Please let us know.NC

ABdex
New Contributor

NC,

I made the following changes:

- upgraded the graphics card driver

- changed the SATA settings in my bios from IDE to AHCI (a difficult process in Win 10)

- upgraded the graphics card driver

- upgraded my bios

- cloned my HDD again using the Data Migration Software v 3.1

=> the Intel 540s 240GB SSD now boots.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Can you advise progress on the new release of firmware for this SSD?

Alexbdex

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Alexbdex,

We are very glad to hear it worked fine after the suggestions.About the firmware update, we are still waiting for the version 2.1.3 to be ready, so far there is no ETA for release but we will keep pushing for updates on it.Thanks for contacting us and have a nice day, let us know if you need anything else.NC

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Alexbdex,

There is a new update about the release of the firmware update for your drive. As you can check on this https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18363/Intel-SSD-Firmware-Update-Tool link, it is estimated to be released anytime next week.In case you need any more information, please let us know.NC