cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 520 : 240GB Data Migration Tool Greyed out

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have a Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H motherboard core i7 3770K, 16GB ram.

Current setup:

Intel SATA Controller :

6Gb/s Port 0: Primary OS hard drive 1TB WD Caviar Black with the usual Windows 7 default partitions and the OS on a 250GB partition and the rest used for storage

6Gb/s Port 1: Storage Drive 2TB WD caviar black

3Gb/s Port 2 and 3Gb/s Port 3: 2x WD RE3 1TB drives RAID 1 (user partition)

3Gb/s Port 4 : DVD Drive

3Gb/s Port 5 : Empty

3x Sata 6Gb/s ports on Marvell 88SE9172 controller : empty

I connected the SSD first to the Intel 3Gb/s port 5. It showed up, I initialized it and in the data migration tool I selected my Primary OS drive as the source but it would not let me select the SSD as destination (no transfer occured). This also happened if I did not initialize my drive, or if i initialized either as MBR or GPT or whether or not I created a partition.

The intel controller is in RAID because I need it for my RAID array. The RAID controller bios shows the SSD as non-raid drive. Intel rapid storage technology manager latest version shows the SSD and options to enable acceleration etc. The data migration tool showed the ssd interface as RAID.

I switched SSD to marvell controller (AHCI mode in bios). in data migration tool it showed interface as Serial ATA but it still would not let me migrate data using either simple or manual modes. same results whether or not I initialized, initialized as mbr / gpt, or made a partition.

I then switched the SSD back to the intel controller, took down my raid array by setting the intel ssd controller mode to AHCI in BIOS so now I just had my SSD on either the 6gb/s port (i took out the 2TB drive) or on the 3gb/s port. the data migration tool still did not give me an option to clone.

It said if your SSD is behind a raid controller contact intel, so that is what I am doing.

I have exhaustively tested this and I have no idea what I am doing wrong! (this is my first SSD). Help will be appreciated!!!

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello grad_ee, on this case the problem could be related with the SATA controller and how it is recognizing the Solid State Drive, I would like to know if you are using the latest Intel(R) data migration software version, also take into consideration that there are other third party cloning software tools that can perform the same task in case that the data migration cannot clone your Solid State Drive.

If you still need assistance you can contact us via phone at the following number: 916 377 7000 option 7.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

IMO, your problems were caused by the size of the source drive/partition being larger than the destination drive. In that case, the source drive and partitions must be manually selected, and that procedure is not obvious and easy to do incorrectly.

I recently did multiple OS cloning operations to Intel SSDs on two PCs, with the latest version of IDMS, and they all worked fine, with one restriction. I was not able to clone an OS to a RAID 0 volume of SSDs. Both PCs were in RAID mode when I started, and one of them had the OS installed on a RAID 0 volume. In my experience it is not simply using RAID mode that is a problem, it was just a limitation that the target drive can not be a RAID volume.

I also did not have problems with any formatting of the destination SSD, since it will be formatted by the IDMS software to match the format type of the source/OS drive.