HPE Proliant DL380 G9 compatibility with Intel dc p4510 2.5"

PFeld
New Contributor

Hi Intel Community

Assuming I have Proliant DL380 G9 servers with HP nvme PCIe SSD capability:

774741-B21 HPE DL380 Gen9 NVMe 6 Solid State Drive Express Bay Enablement Kit

719079-B21 HPE DL380 Gen9 High Performance Fan Kit

727250-B21 HPE 12GB SAS Expander Card with Cables for DL380 Gen9

Does anyone know if the Intel dc p4510 2.5" will work in the 6 Express Bay?

Mainly if the DL380 Gen9 is blocking the SSD because of an non HPE firmware.

I have read that the DL380 Gen10 have Firmware validation, so they are probably incompatible.

I have also found this thread:

Basically the same hard disk, but over a PCIE U.2 Adapter card.

Does anyone know?

I try to contact HPE as well but, maybe someone has tried it...

Regards

4 REPLIES 4

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello oldITguy,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel® SSD DC P4510 Series.I understand that you would like to know if the aforementioned drive is compatible with the HPE* ProLiant DL380 Gen9 Base Server.The official list of tested and validated systems can be seen here https://ark.intel.com/products/122572/Intel-SSD-DC-P4510-Series-8_0TB-2_5in-PCIe-3_1-x4-3D2-TLC# tab-blade-1-1 under "Compatible Products".You mentioned that you have tried contacting the manufacturer, which as stated in the thread that you shared, is our suggestion. Especially since we don't support third party adapters (we recommend using the native ports on the server).According to community member Colinb00 such setup is possible with the adequate adapter, but we can't confirm that. I also noticed that you have asked him for some advice so please keep visiting the community to see if he or another community member can provide assistance in this specific matter.In case you have any update or question don't hesitate to contact us.Regards,Andres V.

PFeld
New Contributor

Hi Andres V.

Well I guess I get no satisfying answer for now. Since the chance/reward risk is worth it, I am on the route to try it out and let you guys know how it went.

Regards

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello oldITguy,

Thank you for considering sharing your experience with the community, we really appreciate it.Regards,Andres V.

PFeld
New Contributor

Hi Everyone

I can cofirm the Intel DC P4510 2.5" SSD works with the Delock 4x PCI Express U.2 NVMe Adapter in a HPE DL380 Gen9 like a charm.

DL380 Gen9 BIOS Version: P89 v2.60 (05/21/2018)

https://www.amazon.de/DeLock-PCIe-U-2-Slot-NVMe/dp/B01GZ1RR4Y

Results are from a physical installed machine.

Regards