cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Read Scan Error on new drive. Should I return, and try another drive?

DDeHa1
New Contributor

Got a new SSD drive (intel 545s 256gb) as a 2nd drive for my hyper-v VMs. Intel SSD Tool box says:

Read Scan Error: An error was detected reading data from the selected Intel SSD. Contact your reseller or local Intel representative for assistance.

No data on it yet. I swapped sata cables, and

same issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

n_scott_pearson
Contributor II

If your dealer will not replace it, you can contact Intel Customer Support directly to arrange a replacement via RMA.

...S​

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

n_scott_pearson
Contributor II

If your dealer will not replace it, you can contact Intel Customer Support directly to arrange a replacement via RMA.

...S​

DDeHa1
New Contributor

I've narrowed down the issue.

I only get the error when my SSD drive is plugged into the Intel SAS Raid (SATA mode) controller.

• The SSD Drive is "INTEL SSDSC2KW256G8"
  • I have two storage controllers:

"Intel(R) C600 Series Chipset SAS RAID (SATA mode)"

Driver version: 4.3.0.1198

* Intel SSD Toolbox results:

"Read Scan: Error: An error was detected reading data from the selected Intel SSD. Contact your reseller or local Intel representative for assistance."

This error happens immediately at 0%. So it appears that the read scan doesn't even start.

"Intel(R) C600 series chipset SATA AHCI Controller"

Driver version: 4.3.0.1198

* The Read Scan is successful when plugged into this controller.

I don't have any raid setup.

Any performance issue with just plugging it into the SATA AHCI Controller instead of the SAS RAID (SATA mode) controller?

DDeHa1
New Contributor

It seems having both of my SSD drives connected to the SATA AHCI controller performs better than my SAS RAID (SATA mode) controller, per my benchmarks below:

"Intel(R) C600 series chipset SATA AHCI Controller"

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/19780544

"Intel(R) C600 Series Chipset SAS RAID (SATA mode)"

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/19780367

I'm going to leave the SSD drives connected to the AHCI controller, but I wonder if there's a way to get the same performance from SSD drives on the SAS RAID (SATA mode) controller? I guess if in the future I add another SSD drive, I'll probably either replace an existing SSD drive, or buy an additional SSD controller.

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor

Hello DDeHa1,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support.

As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® SSD 545s Series (256GB, 2.5in SATA 6Gb/s, 3D2, TLC) in your Dell* system. If we infer correctly we will appreciate if you can provide us with the following information:

• Your system configuration including manufacturer, model and part number of all your system components and a copy of the SSU (system support utility) logs this to have a better understanding of your current system configuration.

1- Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/ and download the software.

2- When finished downloading it, open it.

3- Attach the file obtained to your reply.

• This issue seems related to your system configuration and compatibility between your system and the SSD, we advise you to check the list of compatible hardware from your OEM in order to discard any hardware compatibility issue. Based on the Intel® Product Compatibility Tool (http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?activeModule=Memory%20and%20Storage#) your Dell system is not listed as validated, it does not mean that it does not work but unknown performance or issues may happen. Please take into consideration that this drive is a consumer SSD (Intel® Solid State Drives for Personal Use) and is not validated to be used in a datacenter/workstation environment.

• We advise you to open a ticket in parallel with Dell* to get further assistance regarding the latest drivers for your system and the recommended configuration.

We will be looking forward to your reply including this information.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel