cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does win10 have the drivers to support an intel 750 2.5" NVMe ssd drive during first boot of a new PC build so you can actually install the OS onto the drive?

HBesw
New Contributor

Hi,

Just in the middle of a new build using an ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha board that has 2 u.2 connectors on board. I have an 800GB 2.5" drive which I will utilise IN NVMe mode but I would like to know what to expect at first boot. I am assuming the UEFI vs3.x BIOS will recognise the drive but when I come to install windows 10 do I have to manually add NVMe drivers during the install like you used to have to do with some SCSI drives or does windows 10 have all the drivers it needs to use the Intel 750 drive as the install drive and I simply download the Intel SSD toolbox once win10 has installed to update drivers and firmware? Do I need to do a secure erase on the SSD drive before installing windows 10 if so how do I do that? If anyone can point me to a suitable intel guide I am happy to read but most of the guidance I have seen seems to be around maintenance once windows 10 has been successfully installed

6 REPLIES 6

ASouz7
Valued Contributor

HTB@UK

In order to boot from the drive, you need to make sure that the Bios is running the latest firmware version, UEFI Bios needs to be enabled and NVME* drives should be install during the installation of Windows*

HBesw
New Contributor

Woohoo! seldom are things that simple, thanks for the reply

ASouz7
Valued Contributor

HTB@UK,

We are glad to be of assistance.

HBesw
New Contributor

I knew it couldn't go that smoothly So first off my BIOS didn't recognise the Intel 750 drive accurately it just put H.10 beside the third unknown drive which is weird because it recognised my M.2 Samsung Pro 950 NVMe drive no problem. I installed windows onto the M.2 drive no problems installing the Intel driver for the 2.5" 750 series drive along the way but windows still insisted on installing the Microsoft NVMe driver so had to force an install of the Intel one but after that windows still does not recognise the drive. I am going to check connections tomorrow and maybe try disconnecting and reconnecting it to see if windows will recognise the new hardware. Any other suggestions gratefully received,