cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does 750 ssd allow changing physical sector size between 512 and 4k?

RE1
New Contributor

I get an error message that says "drive does not support this feature" when I try to switch physical sector size. But according to the bottom of the instructions at link, says applies to intel 750 ssd, see link, and my error message in command prompt:

http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/CS-035064.htm Intel® High Performance Solid-State Drives — How to Change Physical Sector Size for Optimal Performance,

3 REPLIES 3

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello opt33,

The Intel® SSD 750 Series and other PCIe NVMe drives do not allow changing the Physical Sector Size. The "applies to" section of the document you refer to should not include the Intel® SSD 750 Series and we will work to correct it soon.

Checking the information for the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23931 Intel® SSD Data Center Tool, in page 19 of the User Guide we find the following about modifying this property:

PhysicalSectorSize: (For ATA devices only) Changes the devices physical sector size. Values are in byte units.

We apologize for this situation and hope this helps to clarify your inquiry.

CChon3
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Section 2.2.3.4 - 2.2.3.7 of the Intel_SSD_Data_Center_Tool_User_Guide_330707-003.pdf

isdct start –intelssd 0 Function=nvmeformat LBAFormat=3 SecureEraseSetting=0 ProtectionInformation=0 ProtectionInformationLocation=0 MetadataSetting=0

LBAFormat=3 means Physical Sector 4096 bytes.

Do this only on a empty disk without any partition.

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello,

Please keep in mind that changing the Variable Sector Size using NVME Format is meant to be used with the Intel® SSD Data Center for PCIe (P3X00 series).

This process was not tested, nor validated to work with the Intel® SSD 750 Series, since these drives were designed for high performance client computers, not for data center usage.