cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop can't detect Intel SSD 750 400G after insert the SSD in PCIe*4 slot

Feng_Y_Intel
New Contributor

Hi there,

I have a Gigabye Z270 Gaming 7 motherboard, it provides 3 PCIe slots. Per Gigabyte manual, the SSD should be installed on the third PCIe *4 slot.

Gigabyte Z270 Gaming 7 expansion slots specs:

1. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16) * For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.
  2. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x8 (PCIEX8) * The PCIEX8 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16 slot. When the PCIEX8 slot is populated, the PCIEX16 slot operates at up to x8 mode.
  3. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4) * The PCIEX4 slot shares bandwidth with the M2P_32G connector. The PCIEX4 slot operates at up to x2 mode when an SSD is installed in the M2P_32G connector.

Now I installed a Asus Graphic card on the first slot - PCIE *16. If I installed Intel 750 SSD 400G on the second slot - PCIE*8, it works normally, PC starts from SSD.

But if I installed SSD on the third slot PCIE *4, system can't detect Intel SSD, OS can't be loaded. From BIOS, also can't see Intel 750 has been detected.

Now I can only install the SSD on the second slot, but per the manual from Gigabyte, this will impact my PC performance, because slot 1 and 2 share the bandwidth, which forces the slot one working under PCIE*8 mode.

And the second question is:

I just installed the latest SSD tool 3.4.3. Please see screenshot below, it shows that there are updates for firmware, but the "update" button is in grey. I clicked the button "Check for updates", it just reverted to the SSD tool download page, but my SSD tool has already been up-to-date. So, what is the point of this "Update" button? Should I download the firmware directly and burn it to CD/USB and then upgrade the SSD firmware?

Any advice about above? Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello i2game,

Based on the description of the situation you are having, we can confirm that this is most likely related to a limitation on the motherboard or configuration issue.From that third PCIe slot, do you have any other device connected in the M2P_32G?We do suggest you updating the latest BIOS on your motherboard.If this does not work, we recommend you to contact Gigabyte* and ask them if there are any settings that need to be changed, as we know the SSD does work fine.About the other question you have, one of the main reasons why the Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox does not shows the update button is because of the missing NVMe* driver. You can try to install it from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26451/Intel-SSD-Data-Center-Family-for-NVMe-Drivers this link.Let us know if you require further assistance.Regards,Nestor C

Feng_Y_Intel
New Contributor

Thanks, Nestor, will try it later.

i2game

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi i2game,

You are welcome. Please let us know if you need anything else.Regards,Nestor C