cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data migration software hangs after reboot and displaying "Starting Acronis UEFI loader . . ."

RSear
New Contributor

Using 240 GB 530 SSD connected to HP Envy 700xt desktop through USB 3.0 port (didn't want to switch internal SATA cables more than once and I had the SATA III to USB stuff) and running Windows 7 64-bit. HDD is 1 TB with only a couple of GB used in 2 partitions (well, 3 if counting the boot partition). SSD was not initialized -- figured the data migration software (Acronis downlaoded from Intel) would handle all of that. Does the data migration software require use of an internal SATA port on the desktop for the SSD (if one does not have the intel-supplied USB cables for laptop mirroring that use 2 USB ports rather than a generic SATA drive enclosure with power supply and USB cable which I am using)?

10 REPLIES 10

Kevin_M_Intel
Contributor II

Hi Suigeneris,

I am sorry you are having problems but let me help you.

The USB adapter supplied with the SSD on the Retail box is the best option to do this process. This is because using another adapter, there is a chance that the SSD is not recognized as an Intel® SSD and therefore you may get error messages or problems during the process.

Here is some more information about the Kit:

http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/CS-029645.htm http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/CS-029645.htm

Kevin M

Kevin M

I am having problems getting my Win 7 Starter netbook to recognize my new intel 520 SSD using a third party USB to SATA cable. Is it possible to buy the intel USB adapter on its own and, if so, can you provide the part number, please?

voconia

RSear
New Contributor

Have you initialized the SSD? For Windows 7 64-bit, click the Start button, right click "Computer", click "Manage" on the pop-up window, click "Disk Management" under "Storage" in the left pane of the window. You should see the SSD as an unknown (or some such label) drive with the option to initialize with "MBR" or "GPT" partitions (there are lots of discussions about which partition structure to use and since I know nothing about Win 7 Starter notebooks, I cannot make a suggestion nor do I know if you can get to disk management in the same manner as Windows 7 64-bit outlined previously).

GWins
New Contributor

Suigeneris:

Many thanks for your helpful suggestion! I was indeed able to initialize my SSD via the netbook's Disk Management Console and selected the MBR option. As I write, Acronis is hard at work cloning my disk. I have installed a couple of SSDs in the past but don't remember the Initialization point coming up - another wrinkle to try to hang on to!

Incidentally, my third party USB/SATA cable seems to work just fine and I regret troubling Kevin M with my earlier request for information about the intel adapter. I would doubt, however, whether intel actually make this item and it might even be a re-badged version of the StarTech cable that I am using (this came as part of a standard 2.5in SATA HDD enclosure Part # SAT2510BU2).

I am along term and generally very satisfied user of Acronis products but it is good to know there are alternatives.

voconia