cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current (Amps) improved for S3520 series SSD?

CYee1
New Contributor

Hi,

I found that the newest SSD DC S3520 has slight changes on the current consumption showed on the label of the SSD.

Originally, the SSD had the +5V with the 2.0A and +5V/+12V with 1.0A/0.5A.

Currently, the label on the SSD shows that +5V with 0.6A and +5V/+12V with 0.3A/0.7A.

Could anyone please advise on the followings,

- What is the VDC? Voltage input?

- What is the AMPS? Max Current on the certain VDC?

- Would there be any significant impact to the user's CPU?

- What is the advantage of improving the current?

Thank you!

Regards,

Chin Yong

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Chin Yong,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel® SSD DC S3520 Series. I understand that you have several questions regarding the VDC and AMPS values present in the SSD's labels. VDC is an abbreviation for volts direct current, this means that the SSD should be powered with a constant voltage. For your particular SSD, this voltage can be either +5 V or +12 V. AMPS is used to denote amperes, which is the basic unit of electric current. This value represents the current used by the SSD to operate. Since the current required by your SSD varies depending on the workload, a specific value may be required by the SSD at a given time, so the label shows the typical value as well as minimum values. In the first picture (ISN: PHDV647600YP150MGN) 2.0 A indicates the typical value drawn by the SSD when it is powered by +5 V. The second picture (ISN: BTDV74220G63150MGN) shows that 0.6 A are typically required by the SSD when connected to the same + 5 V power supply.

For each VDC value, there is a minimum current required for operation, and that is the additional information shown in the label. Here is the same information shown on the label but pointing out the previous descriptions:

ISN VDC [V]Typical AMPS [A] Minimum AMPS [A] PHDV647600YP150MGN + 52.01.0+ 12-0.5BTDV74220G63150MGN+ 50.60.3+ 12-0.07

Regarding the difference in values between the two labels of the same SSD, I'll keep investigating and get back to you as soon as I have relevant information.

Thank you for your patience. Regards,Andres V.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Chin Yong,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel® SSD DC S3520 Series. I understand that you have several questions regarding the VDC and AMPS values present in the SSD's labels. VDC is an abbreviation for volts direct current, this means that the SSD should be powered with a constant voltage. For your particular SSD, this voltage can be either +5 V or +12 V. AMPS is used to denote amperes, which is the basic unit of electric current. This value represents the current used by the SSD to operate. Since the current required by your SSD varies depending on the workload, a specific value may be required by the SSD at a given time, so the label shows the typical value as well as minimum values. In the first picture (ISN: PHDV647600YP150MGN) 2.0 A indicates the typical value drawn by the SSD when it is powered by +5 V. The second picture (ISN: BTDV74220G63150MGN) shows that 0.6 A are typically required by the SSD when connected to the same + 5 V power supply.

For each VDC value, there is a minimum current required for operation, and that is the additional information shown in the label. Here is the same information shown on the label but pointing out the previous descriptions:

ISN VDC [V]Typical AMPS [A] Minimum AMPS [A] PHDV647600YP150MGN + 52.01.0+ 12-0.5BTDV74220G63150MGN+ 50.60.3+ 12-0.07

Regarding the difference in values between the two labels of the same SSD, I'll keep investigating and get back to you as soon as I have relevant information.

Thank you for your patience. Regards,Andres V.

CYee1
New Contributor

Hi Andres,

Thanks for your information.

Regards,

Chin Yong

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Chin Yong,

In regards to the change of the AMPS values between the labels, the initial labels (for example, ISN: PHDV647600YP150MGN) incorrectly provided the current for the Intel® SSD DC S3510 Series. This was corrected with a label update (for example, ISN: BTDV74220G63150MGN) that provides the accurate numbers for the current on the Intel® SSD DC S3520 Series. There is no functional change between the parts.If you have any other question, don't hesitate to contact us.Regards,Andres V.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Chin Yong,

I was wondering if you need further assistance. Please let us know if you consider that we have addressed your inquiry.I'll be waiting for your response.Regards,Andres V.