cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boot Problems with 750

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm hopping someone can help me I have a Gigabyte Z170x-Gaming G1 Motherboard with a Intel 750 Series SSD(SSDPE2MW400G4R5).

The Intel 750 SSD is connected on the GC-M2-U2-MiniSAS card that came with the Motherboard and the cable that came with the drive.

When I boot from a complete power off I get the error "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

hitting any key just gives the same error. If from this screen a perform a CTRL+ALT+DEL then the computer will boot up without any problems.

If from power off state I boot and try the F12 for Boot Menu it has the drive listed and when I select it I get the same result

The computer will restart without problems unless I go to a power off state it works fine

I'm using the F4 firmware for the Gigabyte motherboard

I'm using the 8EV10171 firmware for the Intel SSD?

Do you have any suggestions on what I can try and or do Thanks in advance
6 REPLIES 6

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello k4kman,

There is a thread for a similar issue that has many recommendations about this topic:

Please review and apply the actions mentioned there and let us know if this helps.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have tried everything you say and still have the same problems now I'm even worse it boots direct into Bios and then I have to save and exit and then boots up fine. I have also opened a ticket with Gigabyte as maybe it's a problem with motherboard.

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello k4kman,

I would like to summarize the main actions to try in this situation:

- Contact the http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm Computer Manufacturer Support and make sure you are using the most updated BIOS for your system.

- Make sure you are using the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23929/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Data-Center-Family-for-NVMe-... Intel® Solid-State Drive Data Center Family for NVMe Drivers, version 1.3.0.1007

- Check with the motherboard manufacturer their recommendations to get a persistent configuration when booting from NVMe* drives. For reference, you can check the document: http://download.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/nvme_boot_guide_332098001us.pdf Booting from an NVMe* PCIe* Intel SSD. This was written for previous generation motherboards, but it contains good examples of what may be required in your system.

If the issue persists at this point, we would recommend to check back with Gigabyte for additional recommendations about this matter.

TScha5
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hey k4kman, just an FYI, I am experiencing the exact same issue as you. Exact same motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming 7). I even updated to the newest BIOS F5 and it behaves exactly as you described, meaning it's basically fine unless I boot from a completely powered off state, in which case it boots to BIOS every time. I then hit save and exit and it goes to Windows. So it's not like a terrible thing but certainly annoying, especially with the amount of money we're spending on this stuff... you'd think they would've already run tests with the Z170 Chipset. I'm considering keeping it in the hopes that maybe one day Gigabyte will release another BIOS update that fixes this. But just so you know it's not your board specifically or something you did. I have watched countless videos and tutorials on installing NVMe drives and I did everything right. Gigabyte's board just simply is not 100% compatible with NVMe. I guess you could say it's 99% compatible. But sucks to not know how quick this build boots to windows. I may just get an Asus MoBo and see if that fixes it. But uggghhh I'm dreading it....