cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An error was detected reading data from the selected Intel SSD. Contact your reseller or local Intel representative for assistance.

DMull7
New Contributor

Hi,

I have an Intel 540S 1TB SSD, firmware LSF042C

I'd been noticing issues where my machine would lock up and I'd have to reboot to resolve the issue. Thinking it was the OS, I planned on rebuilding the machine, but when copying certain files off to another computer, it would either fail to read or hang the machine. I booted into another OS and used other tools to attempt to clone / read the files, but they all failed.

I updated the firmware of the drive and ran the Toolbox and performed a full diagnostic. It came up with Read errors very quickly and stated - Error: An error was detected reading data from the selected Intel SSD. Contact your reseller or local Intel representative for assistance.

I used Spinrite, to try and read the drive and it almost immediately came up with a read error on a level 2 scan.

I performed a Secure Erase, reinstalled Windows and ran the Full Diagnostic again and it came up with the same message - Error: An error was detected reading data from the selected Intel SSD. Contact your reseller or local Intel representative for assistance.

The scan is also running slowly. It suggests the scan will take approximately 1 hour, with a fresh install of Windows and plenty of free space, it was taking roughly 5 hours to complete.

I've attached the smart assessment.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

BrusC_Intel
Contributor III

Hello, User15800348502898804582.

Good day,

Thank you for contacting the Intel Community Support.

I checked your ticket regarding the errors with your SSD, thank you for the details, troubleshooting and SMART report; I will be glad to assist you.

Since the errors persist even after performing the secure erase and firmware update and the SMART report shows a high number of uncorrectable errors, the only possible recommendation would be to test with a different SATA cable and port (if possible), it is unlikely that this is the issue, but it is just to make sure.

The best option right now will be to proceed with the replacement of the unit, I will contact you via the e-mail (the one registered on file) to get the necessary information.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

DMull7
New Contributor

Hi Bruce,

I've sent you an email answering your questions.

Just regarding the cable / port question. The SSD is in an Intel NUC that only has a single port for it.

Thanks for your help,

David

BrusC_Intel
Contributor III

Hello, User15800348502898804582.

The community thread will be closed as we discussed via e-mail.

We will proceed with the replacement of the unit.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel