cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A USB-SATA cable that will work with the official data migration software?

NCoff1
New Contributor

Hi all,

I'm trying to connect my new 730 SSD to my laptop via a USB-to-SATA III cable to image my current hard drive before I swap them out, but the official imaging software refuses to install as I need to have "at least one Intel SSD installed in [my] system." The Intel support page simply says to "replace the cable" but I have no reason to believe that the issue is a faulty cable, since I've recently used it to connect hard drives to my system for formatting. Also, I'd rather not send back a functional cable only to get another unusable one and find that the brand that I'm using is the issue.

So, does anyone know of a cable that will work properly here? My current cable is a StarTech USB 3.0 to 2.5 in. SATA III cable.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello N_coffey,

Intel® Data Migration Software is a basic tool to help you migrate Intel® SSD's. For this tool to work, it is important the cable exports the correct model string to the operating system. If the correct model string is not detected, Intel® Data Migration Software fails to detect the drive in the operating system, and does not install/clone.

There are third-party USB to SATA cables that work, however, please keep in mind that in some cases, this may also be caused by the USB port.

It is advised that you contact you nearest http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport Intel® Customer Support Center, a support agent will be able to provide more details, and possible workarounds in case the IDMS does not work in your configuration.

Intel does not have and official list of validated cables, however, some users posted their findings in the following thread (dated 2013):

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello N_coffey,

Intel® Data Migration Software is a basic tool to help you migrate Intel® SSD's. For this tool to work, it is important the cable exports the correct model string to the operating system. If the correct model string is not detected, Intel® Data Migration Software fails to detect the drive in the operating system, and does not install/clone.

There are third-party USB to SATA cables that work, however, please keep in mind that in some cases, this may also be caused by the USB port.

It is advised that you contact you nearest http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport Intel® Customer Support Center, a support agent will be able to provide more details, and possible workarounds in case the IDMS does not work in your configuration.

Intel does not have and official list of validated cables, however, some users posted their findings in the following thread (dated 2013):

Thanks, Jonathan. It seems I may have to either forego using IDMS (since the model string check only works properly over a normal SATA connection) or purchase an enclosure. I appreciate your assistance in the matter.

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

I am glad that the information provided was what you required. Here are a few additional details about this topic:

- IDMS works with USB-SATA adapters, however, it requires the drive ID to be sent through the connection. Unfortunately, the tool will not work with cables or computers that do not provide the model string using USB.

- Check if the Intel® SSD 730 is shown in Computer Management - Disk Management. If the drive is not detected at all, then this may be a different issue.

- There are third-party tools that will help you migrate your hard drive and that do not require a specific model string to operate. You may contact the http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport Intel® Customer Support Center for more details about this option.