cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X25-M and RAID 0, 1 and 5; what Controller and How about TRIP?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Generally, I find the FAQ and regular support content on the Intel website very lacking of information on RAID solutions for the X25-M G2. Therefore I wish to start a thread to containing information needed to build the optimal X25-M G2 RAID array. I am not interested in any problems that might appear for different arrays, such as disks failing under a specific driver, as long as they have a solution(changing drivers etc.). Only the optimal but realistic gains of different solutions.

I am thinking of setting up a new system using four X25-M G2's and a PCI-ex Intel RAID controllers.

First of I wonder if there is a performace gain between using a typical on board controller and upgrading to a ~$150 PCI-ex 8x Intel RAID Controller with a larger cache, for RAID 0, 1 and 5 respectively.

How about TRIP support and if TRIP is not possible what is the word from Intel on when we can expect TRIP support for our G2's in RAID arrays?

If TRIP is not possible how large is the performace loss? Do the different RAID setups compensate this sufficiently to be worth it?

Is there some performace aspect that will be compomised by different RAID setups?

Do you have a better suggestion for a decicated controller than a "~$150 PCI-ex 8x Intel RAID Controller"? How about compatibility Intel/non-Intel?

Is there a preferrable chip for onboard controllers?

Also, I am interested in any acctual performance data for single, RAID 0, 1, 5 using different controllers. Please include all setup information such as stripe size aswell.

And lastly, any links to forum threads containing relevant information would also be appriciated.

3 REPLIES 3

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It's TRIM support not TRIP support.

TRIM is not supported using any Raid controller or any onboard motherboard RAID. I've been trying to do this as well. I hear people say that 160GB is faster than a 2x 80GB running RAID 0 and has TRIM support. Would not recommend going for RAID just yet. Some people report that the gains and loss cannot be "felt" during normal use. With that said, I'd skip the RAID and just get whatever size you need to by pass the RAID because the headaches that come with it isn't worth it.

P.S I bought myself a RAID card before I knew that TRIM is not supported. Have to wait for Adaptec to generate some driver. God knows how long that will take. Some RAID card don't even support Windows 7 either.

Don't go RAID! Not worth it. Take that $150 that you might spend on a controller and invest in a bigger SSD.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Ah, sorry about that I must have been really tired when I wrote that. 😮

Anyway the idea is coming from test's I've seen on SSD drives where commercial ready solutions of Raid 5, where 4 disks are hidden in a chamber directly on a PCI-ex Raid controller. "PhotoFast G-Monster Promise PCI Express" It was much better than all single drives in some aspects, but was beaten hard by X25-M in all other. The idea was to gain the advantages of the PhotoFast solution without sacrificing the overall performance of the X25-M.

I have seen many tests of RAID 0 arrays using X25-M reaching over 300mb/s read, but if the RAID compromises other aspects maybe the use of it is limited as you say.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

What? Trim with RAID is not supported? Now you tell me! I just got my two 80GB Intel SSDs today and was planning on using them as RAID1. I am using a new Asus P7P55D-E motherboard. Does this mean I am out of luck? This may be a dumb question, but will this ever be supported? And what would need to be updated to support this (firmware, RST, Win7)? I guess I could get by with just one drive, but the security of RAID1 was nice warm fuzzy.

Second thought: Would it be wise to set up a RAID1 now and hope for TRIM support later?