cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X25 for Enterprise use

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

H all,

I am looking an upgrading/replacing my SAN with some SSDs (SAN will be used for Oracle OLTP DB Cluster)

I am potentially looking at X25-E disks (12 in a RAID 10), but I have been told a better/more ecomonical use would be a RAID5, and the actual difference on SSD between the two RAID levels is minimal (as compared to conventional HDDs where the write impact is noticable). I know it will come down to the read/write ratios, etc. but does anyone have any experience of the actual difference?

Also, I said I was looking at the X25-E (or OCZ 2 EX), but a SAN manufacturer is trying to convince me that the X25-M (mlc) will be fine. Any comments on this?

Thanks,

J.

2 REPLIES 2

RGiff
Contributor

The only problem with using SSDs in RAID is the Tool Box will not work because it can not distinguish the difference one drive for another , So it would hard to keep them clean and the performance would degrade over time.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi there,

Thanks for replying

I hadn't even considered/thought about the Intel software tools (assumed the tool wouln't work as these disks will be in a 8Gbps FC SAN)

Does anyone have any data on RAID 10 v RAID 5 with SSD in an ORacle environment?

Thanks,

J.

ps - Anyone know when the Intel 100GB eMLC drives will be released?