cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X25-E not detected in compatible laptop

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I just got the new SSD disk (Intel X25-E) and I inserted into my Lenovo Thinkpad SL 300 laptop. However, it is not detected during boot, BIOS or any post-installation of operating systems. When I switch back to the standard disk that followed the laptop, this disk gets detected immediately. I've made assure that the SSD disk works (on a different computer with really old motherboard)

- I have the newest BIOS firmware 1.24, released 18 of June.

- I have tried changing the mode from AHCI to compatible mode in BIOS.

Anyone have any ideas how to deal with the issue? Or does the firmware change anything

8 REPLIES 8

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have the same issue with the X25-E 64G bought recently. I plug it to a DELL VOSTRO 200 desktop and a old DELL PRECISION 390 workstation. Neither can detect it correctly. I have switched to "IDE" mode for SATA. I saw it in the BIOS as "Intel SSD Boot Loader", not the exact part no. as shown for other hard disks. I still cannot use it now. No idea.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I think our issues are similar, but quite different. The SSD I have is not being detected at all in the BIOS of my new laptop but it is detected in BIOS of an old PC. I would really like to get some feedback from someone using, or attempted, to use the SSD on a laptop though.

In my case the SSD should be detected immediately as the laptop has the SATA specification that is necessary.

"So in order for your laptop to be compatible with an Intel SSD, your laptop has to have a SATA connection for the drive. Check your laptop product specifications or your system manufacturer to see if your particular laptop support SATA drives."

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have the same issue with the X25-E 64G bought recently. I plug it to a DELL VOSTRO 200 desktop and a old DELL PRECISION 390 workstation. Neither can detect it correctly. I have switched to "IDE" mode for SATA. I saw it in the BIOS as "Intel SSD Boot Loader", not the exact part no. as shown for other hard disks. I still cannot use it now. No idea.

Macdonald_V_Int
New Contributor II

Hi Rapide

You are not experiencing an SSD issue but a system issue. Lenovo systems have a unique way of managing their partition table. Copying the drive outside of the Lenovo system will create a copy drive that will not boot in the Lenovo system.

Two workarounds (for now) exist for this:

1) Obtain a Lenovo Ultra Bay HDD adapter for your SL 300 and then put your original HDD in the ultra bay and put in in the place of your CD/DVD ROM drive and your SSD in the regular drive bay. Create a DOS bootable USB key and obtain an imaging software package to put on the key. If you use Ghost, use the -ib command which forces a copy of the entire boot track, not just the boot sector. We have used this on Lenovo systems (I have a T61 with an Intel 34nm SSD) and it worked fine. ** After you have completed the clone of the HDD, remove the ultrabay and reinstall the CD/DVD ROM drive and the system should now boot from the SSD.

2) Get Apricorn's EZ USB Upgrade Kit at http://www.apricorn.com/product_detail.php?type=reg&id=1023 http://www.apricorn.com/product_detail.php?type=reg&id=1023 . We recommend this kit with our drives and it allows you to use your HDD as an external storage drive. Put the SSD in your SL 300 drive bay and put your HDD in the Apricorn external drive case and run their software. It will take care of the Lenovo paritioning and the Lenovo BIOS will imprint what it needs on the drive. ** After completing the cloning of the HDD to the SSD, remove the USB adapter with your HDD and the system should recognize the SSD and boot from the SSD.

Don

Intel NAND SSD Group

Message was edited by: DSSDGuy