cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X-25M and SATA-100

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi all,

I googled for some time but couldn't find what I need. I have the possibility to upgrade my work-laptop with an SSD drive. I'd like to get the http://aios.be/productendetail.cfm?p=2891&s=26 Intel SSD 80GB X-25M

The laptop is a HP 6510b but there's the -possible- problem, it only has SATA-100.

My question, are they compatible? Without too much hazzles to get the drive working?

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It should be compatible but it will not perform to its optimum potential. Intel sequential read speeds can reach up to 250MB/s. SATA 1.0 is capped at 150MB/s. Performance is however more generally about small random reads and low access times. You may not get full performance here either but regardless you should see a nice performance jump in comparison to a HDD.

SATA 1.0 (1.5Gb/s) = Max transfer speed of ~ 150 MB/s

SATA 2.0 (SATA 3 Gb/s) = Max transfer speed of ~ 300 MB/s

SATA 3.0 = (SATA 6 Gb/s) Max transfer speed of ~ 600 MB/s

RGiff
Contributor

I put a 160 Intel SSD in my Old DV9023us which had a 5200 rpm sata 1.5 HD ,with a fresh install of W7 64 bit. Even though it's sata 1.5 the machine starts up in about 25 sec. where it used to take 3 min. So Yes these are backawards compatable .

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I installed a 160gb X25M in my CF-74 Panasonic Toughbook and despite the main board's SATA I limit, the performance is in a different league altogether - not to mention it runs cooler and uses less power. Well worth the upgrade in my opinion.

Regards

Mitch

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for your replies. Sure it'll be worth the update (and the money). Performance now is kind of dramatic.

Regards