cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 hangs right after boot

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello everyone,

I'm having problems with my Intel 320 SSD 160GB wich I use for my OS. Right after Windows 7 has booted and the desktop is shown for 3 seconds it freezes. The mouse pointer and keyboard no longer respond and I'm forced to reset my computer. This means I'm not even able to check settings or run tests with the ssd toolbox or do anything else.

When I boot in safe mode nothing seems wrong and the desktop doesn't freeze after a short period of time. A driver issue maybe?

I have the latest firmware version 0362 installed and Intel rapid storage technology and the latest chipset drivers for my motherboard.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

System specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Asus P5Q Deluxe (Intel P45/ICH10R Chipset) Motherboard

Intel Q8400 @ 3.4Ghz CPU

MSI HD6850 Graphics card

HDD with Windows Vista installed on it.

3 REPLIES 3

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If it freezes in normal boot but not in safe mode, it most likely is a driver or service issue. Is this a new issue or a new install of the OS? Have you switched SATA controller modes recently (IDE/Compatibility vs AHCI/Advanced/RAID)?

Can you hook up the drive to another computer to see if it responds correctly?

Would you be able to run a Windows Repair on the installation using your install disk?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you for your reply!

I switched from IDE to AHCI mode in the BIOS before I installed the OS. I assumed this was the right way to install an OS on a new SSD.

Unfortunately, I only have one pc. So I can't hook up my SSD to another computer right now.

I ran startup repair with my disk, but the system still freezes.

But, after many reboots I discovered that the time varies the computer functions normally before it freezes. Also it seems that booting with all possible services disabled (in the msconfig menu) makes the computer run fine.

Do you know what to do?

Do you have all the latest updates for the board like BIOS and Chipset???