cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win7 IDE mode TRIM support? Or only AHCI?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Still can't seem to find a definitive answer to this... does windows 7 support TRIM when using the SSD with bios in IDE mode or only in AHCI mode?

The intel SSD newbie doc says that the Microsoft AHCI driver supports TRIM natively so the SSD Toolbox Optimizer is not needed. It's only needed when using the Intel AHCI drivers.

But it doesn't say if the IDE mode supports TRIM.

Anyone have a definitive answer?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

i am pretty sure you cannot get trim with IDE, you need AHCI and teh driver wether that be the Microsfot one or the Intel one.

Zhdan_B_Intel
New Contributor

Windows 7 supports TRIM even in IDE mode. However, to gain all benefits of Intel Solid-state drive (e.g. DIPM) i would recommend you to choose AHCI mode. Please keep in mind that you will need to reinstall windows (or do some driver tweaks) in order to change SATA mode.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You don't have to reinstall Windows to enable AHCI if your motherboard has an eSATA connector.

See second post at /thread/14145?tstart=0 http://communities.intel.com/thread/14145?tstart=0

RGiff
Contributor

I have a older box that was running in IDE mode and went to install Intel RST drivers and it would not install until I did the registry change and switched it to AHCI mode then it would let me install the RST drivers no problem. I got 5 desktops that I built and I am changing all of them to AHCI weather they have a SSD or not , I done some testing with ATTO and even standard HD see a improvement in AHCI , Plus if you are later going to install a SSD you are already there .