cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to find Microsoft AHCI drivers for Windows XP?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The documentation for the SSD Toolbox says that it will work with the generic Microsoft AHCI driver in Windows XP (table copied below). Where can I find this driver? I assume they mean the file msahci.sys which shows up in Device Manager as "standard AHCI 1.0 serial ATA controller" but I only find this as part of Vista or Windows 7.

I would like to use the X25-M G2 with a Highpoint Rocket 620 SATA card, or other non-Intel AHCI-compatible SATA controller, with Windows XP. I want to use the Microsoft AHCI driver, not a driver from a manufacturer, because it is required for the SSD Toolbox.

Thank you very much!

Intel

® SSD Toolbox OS Requirements Matrix Operating System

Storage Driver

Execution Environment

Microsoft Windows* 7

Microsoft* AHCI

Native OS support (Intel

® SSD Toolbox not required)

Microsoft Windows 7

Intel

® Matrix Storage Manager**

Intel

® SSD Toolbox required

Microsoft Windows Vista* or XP

Microsoft AHCI or Intel

® Matrix Storage Manager

Intel

® SSD Toolbox required

6 REPLIES 6

MBall5
Contributor

Hello, unfortunately Intel® does not provide or support AHCI drivers for any operating system, I suggest you to contact Microsoft for Further assistance.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Barrett, you have in fact the answer in your question.

It says:

Microsoft Windows Vista* or XP

Microsoft AHCI or Intel

® Matrix Storage Manager

Which is correct; an AHCI driver is provided for Windows Vista by Microsoft, and for XP the AHCI driver is provided by Matrix Storage Manager (now called Intel Rapid Storage).

My SSD is running beautifully on AHCI / XP SP3 32bit using the latest Intel Rapid Storage driver (iaStor.sys) version 10.0.0.1043 beta.

Mauriceb, you know Intel Rapid Storage is Intel's AHCI driver........ right? o_O

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have an MSI mobo P67A-GD65 (B3) with Intel P67 chipset. Trying to setup with SATA AHCD on XP pro.

The driver now is Intel 6 series/C200 Series Chipset family:

-2 port Serial ATA controller 1C08

-4 port Serial ATA controller 1C00

These work only in IDE settings.

The Intel P67 Express Chipset is the same as yours I think.

Can you maybe forward a link where I could download the right driver to work with AHCI on XP pro ?

MSI drivers for AHCI are not available or at least, I can't find it.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Leo, here it is:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21407&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%20XP... http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21407&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%20XP...

Your P67 chipset is the same as the others, that is correct.

If you installed Windows XP in IDE mode, you simply cannot change to AHCI mode after installing that driver (BTW, it is the third one in the list, STOR_Win7_XP_11.2.0.1006.exe).

You must either install XP in AHCI mode, and install the f6flpy-x64_11.2.0.1006.zip driver during the OS installation, or perform a registry change that will allow you to change to AHCI mode. Google on "changing to AHCI mode" for complete instructions.