cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Various questions regarding SSD

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

What is the best raid stripe size for the X25-E and X-25-M?

Will the existing line of Intel SSD's be compatible with Windows 7 TRIM command? If so when is this likely to happen?

If TRIM is going to be supported will it be supported via RAID?

Is there any update on the new 34nm SSD product line? When will specs be available?

Will the 34nm technology use the same controller or will it be a new controller?

EDIT:

I can now answer part of my own question. After extensive testing with IOmeter I have concluded that a 128k stripe size is going to work best for raid 0 in the vast majority of cases, and certainly for normal OS use. That is based on test results using two different controllers and stripe sizes ranging between 16k & 1042k. (Tests on one controller were limited to 256k due to limitations of the controller.) This involved a lot of work, for something that could easily have been explained.

Intel....

you are currently dealing with enthusiasts in your new SSD market, who are interested in the technology and want to know as much as possible about it. Why have the anonymous corporate attitude to your new and exciting product line? Why is there the party line of saying nothing about such an exciting product? (Even something as basic as letting people know they should be using AHCI and not IDE mode).MS seemed to have learnt that this is not the way to go with all the fantastic work they have done with Windows 7. Enthusiasts are raving about Windows 7 and that is going to really help Windows 7 launch to the mainstream with maximum impact.

Every now and then it is good to throw your (loyal) dog a bone 😉

/message/14887# 14887 Various questions regarding SSD

45 REPLIES 45

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

So, MS asked SSD manufacturers to work with them on SSD optimisations last November. The TRIM command spec was at rev 6 in 2007.

SSD optimisations, including TRIM have been in Windows 7 from day one. RC is publically available .........and no one can say if/ when it will be supported in a fw update?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

anything.......?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Am I asking for a trade secret or something by asking if/ when TRIM will be supported in the current range of SSD's? I don't understand the stone wall of silence on this subject.......

/thread/3827?tstart=0 /thread/3827?tstart=0

i was wondering the same things.

unfortunately i don't think the information will become available until its available i know. it sucks.

and as you know, intel has policies of not comenting on unreleased products/technologies. i too wish there was more 'wiggle-room'.

OJ