cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD power loss report updates

Alan_F_Intel
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Intel is aware of the customer sightings on Intel SSD 320 Series. If you experience any issue with your Intel SSD, please contact your Intel representative or Intel customer support (via web: http://www.intel.com/ www.intel.com or phone: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contact/phone www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contact/phone) . We will provide an update when we have more information.

Alan

Intel's NVM Solutions Group

81 REPLIES 81

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

@koitsu

There is a 600 GB Intel 320 drive:

http://www.intel.com/design/flash/nand/320series/overview.htm http://www.intel.com/design/flash/nand/320series/overview.htm

"Capacity 40GB, 80GB, 120GB, 160GB, 300GB and 600GB"

GIGO...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The 8mb bug occured on my laptop some days ago.

I tried to find out where the 8mb came from and thanks to your post I tried to look for the HPA. The HPA seems to be the source of the reported 8mb, but not the source of the whole bug. After disabling the HPA (using something like "libata.ignorehpa=1" as kernel argument, don't remember exactly), the disk had full capacity again, but I was unable to read any valid data from the SSD. It looked like everything read was zero and the kernel reported a lot I/O errors. I tried it using normal tools (dd) and sg_utils to issue direct ATA commands, with no luck. I finally gave up and did a secure erase, which brought my SSD back to live.

I think the wrongly reported size from the HPA is just a side effect of the actual bug. Fixing the wrongly reported size does not help.

BTW: I'm now a happy user of btrfs with incremental snapshots + rsync. When btrfs send/receive is done, I'll drive a pretty paranoid backup plan

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes on power loss. I bought two drives and both went bad.

The Intel SSD 320 Series 80GB serial number CVPR116301S008OBGN BATCH CNCV14P108 PACK DATE 4/26/2011 It ran for 9 days, went blue screen and then 8mb.

The Intel SSd320 Series 120GB serial number CVPR1160060M120LGN BATCH CNCV140108 PACK DATE 4/24/2011. It ran for 7 days, before it would power on and off irratically and finally no data when it would power on for a few seconds.

I cloned and have backups but my worry is that I can't erase confidential data. So how do you make sure if I return it that the data can't be restored?

I also find it hard to believe that these reporst have been since May and yet I bought this in July at BestBuy. They don't seem to be taking this that seriously if they are still selling the drives.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Same issue happened to me I have already reported the issue to Intel and they have handled it well, my only complaints are actually trying to find a support number, their support hours, and the time it takes to get an agent. The only reason I am posting this is because there are posts that are saying this issue is limited, or that it only happens on extreme power cycling. While I have no figures this topic is all over the internet Anandtech, Tomshardware, etc.

I get that sometimes there is bugs or hardware issue, the problem is Intel minimal acknowledgement of the issue and lack of updates is saddening. I get this is not their core business but the reason I chose to buy Intel is because of the Brand Name and the feeling of having quality support that would come along with that name.

Intel SSD 320 160GB

Model: SSDSA2CW160G3

ISN: CVPR111202TF160DGN

SA: G17907-505

PBA: E75402-505

LBA: 312,581,808

Nuff Said

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm still waiting for someone to explain where the "8MB" value came from. There are two hard examples so far (/message/132261# 132261 # 1 and /message/133389# 133389 # 2) of people's SSDs "going bad" yet the drive capacity (LBA count) still remains at correct values (LBA = 512 bytes). Can someone who has experienced this issue please shed some light on what "8MB" refers to exactly, meaning how the issue/error manifests itself? Thank you.