cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD LIFF connector

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Can anybody clarify what an SSD LIFF Connector is ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Do you mean a LIF connector?

LIF is the acronym for "Low Insertion Force". There is "Zero Insertion Force" (ZIF) as well. These are descriptions for special plug types that you see inside certain machines that are not designed to be end-user servicable. You often see them with ribbon cables and are very thin.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Do you mean a LIF connector?

LIF is the acronym for "Low Insertion Force". There is "Zero Insertion Force" (ZIF) as well. These are descriptions for special plug types that you see inside certain machines that are not designed to be end-user servicable. You often see them with ribbon cables and are very thin.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Just curious Duckie, would SATA cable connectors be consider LIF or ZIF? What about the older IDE connectors for HDDs, LIF, ZIF, or PITA??

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

parsec wrote:

Just curious Duckie, would SATA cable connectors be consider LIF or ZIF? What about the older IDE connectors for HDDs, LIF, ZIF, or PITA??

I do not believe there is a clear difference between ZIF and LIF anymore. One could argue that SATA plug without the spring lock is a LIF/ZIF.

However, the most clear example of ZIF is AMD sockets. You drop the CPU into the socket with little effert or zero force and the pins slide in. Then you use a lever to lock it into place.

Generally, when talking about ZIF/LIF connectors... you are basically talking about a ribbon cable:

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for that Duckie.

In my experience, the AMD CPU socket is also LRF (Low Removal Force), in that when attempting to remove the CPU heat sink, the CPU comes along with it! That's with the socket clamping lever closed! No, it was not melted onto it as I read once somewhere (OMGosh!), but the thermal compound could have passed for an adhesive.