cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD 510 Series Drive Access Lockup

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I am seeing some odd behavior with my SSDSC2MH250A2 drives. I have two of these connected to my DX58SO2 motherboard. What was happening was that access to my second SSD drive would cause Windows to freeze. The OS itself would hang while trying to access to drive. I was not sure what was causing this, and I thought I had defective hardware at first.

I had to hold down the power button due to some of these freezes. After doing this, I ran a chkdsk /f for both drives followed by rebooting to ensure the file system was intact. My second SSD drive was even freezeing or extremely slow during the chkdsk. I had to hold down the power button during one chkdsk after it reported unexpected errors.

I ran Intel's SSD Toolbox followed by running the SSD Optimizer for both drives. After doing this, the freezing issues seemed to have stopped. Here is where I am confused though-- I am running Windows 7 Professional, and the Intel PDFs I have read stated that the functionality of the SSD Optimizer is built into Windows 7. This leads me to believe I should not need to run the optimizer.

I do not understand why the SSD drives would cause the OS to hang after about three weeks of use. I can find no firmware updates for the 510 series at all.

25 REPLIES 25

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I just wanted to add to this thread that I am seeing the same Windows 7 behavior freezeing behaviour after installing the same SSDSC2MH250A2 drive as the user Dryne.

My Windows is periodically locking/freezing up. My mouse works but I cannot click on anything. It seems that all I can do is hit ctrl-alt-delete and bring up the task manager. As soon as the task manager is running, Windows unfreezes. I did leave my locked up Windows for a while and it looks like the freeze out eventually fixes itself.

I ran across this support thread after a coworkers computer completely crashed. It turns out his Intel SSD (around 120gb) crashed and no longer functions (this is apparently a known issue with his model and a firmware update is needed to fix the issue - unforyunately for him now that his SSD crashed, it will no longer accept the firmware update and his PC has been rendered useless along with a loss of all of his data).

I was looking for a firmware update for my SSDSC2MH250A2 drive (which apparently there is none) when I came across this thread. I was suprised to see the exact same issue for another user (I had not even determined that it was the SSD drive causing the freeze although I was suspicious because the problem only began after installing the SSD - a year of use of the same computer without the SSD never froze up once).

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Windows locked up again moments ago when reading the second SSD drive. Running the optimizer is not the fix. The issue happens under certain circumstances that I am not sure how to reproduce.

I ran the fast diagnostic scan for the second drive that is having issue:

Read Scan Failed Contact your reseller or local Intel representative for assistance

Data Integrity Scan Passed Ready for use

If I power the computer off then back on, the one SSD drive works okay for awhile until this read issue happens for whatever reason.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I just powered my desktop off then back on, logged into Windows, and ran the Fast Diagnostic Scan once again for the second SSD drive. Now it passeses both the Read Scan and the Data Integrity Scan.

I really have no idea what is going on, but I've never had this many issues with a storage device before.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III