cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-allocated Sector Count

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

I have a Intel® X25-M Solid State Drive, 160GB SATA II 2.5in, MLC, High Performance drive for about 6 months now and have had it replaced under warranty due to 3 Re-allocated Sector Counts, now a month later it's doing it again, only 1 at the moment.

What is going on here? are these drives any good?

I use to have a Western Digital VelociRaptor drive in my computer until I had to RMA 2 drives within a year, I thought it may have been the controller on the Motherboard so have had that replaced also.

The computer I have is a Dell Precision T3400, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Please help!!

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Reallocated sectors are completely normal for HDDs and SSDs. No drive is 100% perfect otherwise yields would be too low and drives would cost 5-10 times as much. To counter these imperfections, HDDs and SSDs have reserve space to remap these bad sectors.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Ok fine, so when should it be replaced? if the Re-allocated count starts jumping on a regular basis?

I have another drive in this computer, a Seagate 2TB drive for as long as I have had the Intel SSD drive and that doesn't show any Re-allocated sector counts

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You should be concern when:

A) there are suddenly more reallocated sectors

B) the drive cannot remap the sectors

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Simply put: worry about it if the number starts increasing rapidly over the course of a month, if the SMART attribute adjusted value reaches the adjusted threshold, or if the number is extremely high (hundreds or thousands).

On SSDs, this number indicates the number of flash blocks which have gone bad/cannot be used for writes any longer. One LBA is approximately 4096 bytes, or 512 bytes.