cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not possible to reinstall an OS: "Security Freeze Lock is detected..." Help please.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello,

I installed Linux in a 240GB SSD Series 520. I had to reinstall the Linux, and it did not allow me. If I try to make a new LXDE (Linux) installation it close the installation just before formatting the SSD.

I went to Windows 7 Disk management and the SSD is there with 3 partitions:

•12.01 GB Healthy Active Primary Partition

•3,9 GB Healthy Primary Partition•207,66 GB Healthy Primary Partition

I tried to make a secure erase in order to have the SSD in the original conditions using Intel SSD Toolbox and it did not allowed me because "a Security Freeze Lock is detected and the drive must be power cycled by unplugging and plugging in the drive" If I understood correctly this has to be done with the drive connected to the Desktop while it is power on, I am not going to do that, that is risky for all the hardware including the SSD, and it is a new machine and the guarantee can be void.

I erased the partitions with Windows 7 disk Management, I got an unallocated 223 GB SSD, but the SSD is 240GB. I have Windows 7 in a WD Hard Drive.

I tried to install Linux LXDE and again fails in same point before formating the SSD.

Now there is not a partition in the disk,

•Why is the Security Freeze Lock on?

•Why I can not modify words with Intel SSD Toolbox? •In the seventies was very easy to write to memory positions, Why is so difficult now if the technology have advanced so much?.

Is there a way to do this without such unprofessional method of "/thread/24201?start=0&tstart=0 power cycled."

I lost a complete working day. I can not belive that the Intel SSD Toolbox can not write to a memory word, old computers of the seventies could do that. I think technology should make things easy, not more difficult.

Thank you for your help.

Regardsjoejac
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

plee21
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hi

Freeze lock is just a security feature. The BIOS tells the drive to lock it's security, this was introduced to stop virus's and other malware erasing your drive or setting a password and then holding you to ransom to get your data back.

By unplugging and plugging back in after the computer has re-booted the BIOS has long gone and so the drive doesn't get the 'freeze me' command.

The Freeze lock isn't a fault or a problem, it's by design.

SATA supports hot pluging so connecting it while the system is on isn't a problem. Keep the power connector connected to the SSD put just unplug the SATA cable, then once booted connect it back in, you will then be able to do a security erase.

I'm not sure why Linux isn't installing for you.

Regards

Phil

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

plee21
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hi

Freeze lock is just a security feature. The BIOS tells the drive to lock it's security, this was introduced to stop virus's and other malware erasing your drive or setting a password and then holding you to ransom to get your data back.

By unplugging and plugging back in after the computer has re-booted the BIOS has long gone and so the drive doesn't get the 'freeze me' command.

The Freeze lock isn't a fault or a problem, it's by design.

SATA supports hot pluging so connecting it while the system is on isn't a problem. Keep the power connector connected to the SSD put just unplug the SATA cable, then once booted connect it back in, you will then be able to do a security erase.

I'm not sure why Linux isn't installing for you.

Regards

Phil

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello, and thanks a lot Phil_I for your fast and valuable response

Finally I was able to install PCLinuxOS LXDE in the SSD and do the dual boot.

As per Grub 1 bootloader documentation, is recommended to change your sata cables in your motherboard so the Windows Hard Disk be your first device. In other words to be your P0 SATA device in the BIOS. The SSD must be the secondary device, P1. I have an ASUS P8Z77-VLX motherboard.

Is very important to http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub.html read this for linux newbies.

1. Download the last version of the http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18455 Intel SSD Toolbox and install it in your Windows Hard Drive.

2. Please note that the Intel SSD Toolbox instructions to unlock the Security Freeze Lock are outdated. I followed and it did not unlock. Please note that in my previous post I had erased the SSD partitions with Windows 7 disk Management.

2.1 So your advice Phil_I was the correct one.
  • I turned off the Desktop, open it,
  • take out the SATA cable of the SSD,
  • then turn on the Desktop,
  • enter in the BIOS, set "Hot Plug" enabled for the SSD (P1), F10 to save the changes and
  • when the Windows logo appeared in the Windows 7 startup I plugged in the SATA cable in the SSD drive.

3. I ran Intel SSD Toolbox and this time it was able to do the secure erase in order to have the SSD in the original conditions. It took a minute.

4. This time with the SSD like new, I was able to reinstall LXDE

4.1 Formatting the 223,7GB available and installing LXDE took about 5 minutes.4.2 Be carefull because the Grub bootloader takes as default for boot device the first disk, the Windows disk, in case of a mistake, Grub will write the MBR and will get "Error Bootmgr is missing" and Windows 7 will not boot. 4.2.1 Use your Windows installation disk but do not reinstall, only repair, it might require various attempts. See this http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/fixing-bootmgr-is-missing-error-while-trying-to-boot-wi... link.

4.3 In my case, it also automatically created the entry in the boot menu to have the option to boot from the Windows 7 drive, and it worked fine.

5. In my oppinion Intel should have an administrator password in the Intel SSD Toolbox so we can have the possibility to modify the bits for "Security Freeze Lock" and "Hardware encryption" among others.

Hope this can help someone else.

Best regardsjoejac