cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new SSD 320 series 300 GB owner with a question

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello.

First of all, I'm happy to find a dedicated forum on Intel SSDs.

I've just got a new Intel 320 Series 300 GB SATA 3.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid-State Drive.

I installed it on my HP 490t series desktop (Windows 7, 64-bit). BIOS recognized it (SATA enabled and RAID option on) and Intel's software migrated the OS off the Hitachi 2TB hard disk. While doing all these I skipped Intel matrix storage manager post screen set-up (ctrl+i).

For the time being the computer works without an issue. That 3 second-post screen however kinda annoys me. And i don't know much about RAID on the other hand.

Is there any way to disable that post screen? or should I create RAID drives using that storage manager to avoid it in the future? In that case I assume I would lose all data on both drives.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

1 REPLY 1

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If you enable use of RAID via the RAID BIOS (referred to properly as an Option ROM), then yes, you will lose all data on whatever drive you set up to use the RAID configuration (the metadata written to the drive via the Option ROM will cause you to lose all data), even if you set the disks up to be considered JBOD in the Option ROM. So, if you want to retain your data, DO NOT go into the Option ROM and set up

It sounds like what you're complaining about is the actual Option ROM screen and how you want to turn it off to speed up boot time after POST. In that case, you can go into your PC BIOS and change the SATA controller from "RAID" mode to "AHCI" mode. You will almost certainly still see an Option ROM screen during POST, but all it should do is probe the disks. This takes about 3-8 seconds, and there's no way around it other than disabling AHCI mode.

I discuss the different "modes" of SATA controller operation here:

/message/123107# 123107 http://communities.intel.com/message/123107# 123107