cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limited write (erase) cycles

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, I would like to know how many write cycles typical MLC flash memory can sustain. Is it around the endurance of 10,000 cycles?

5 REPLIES 5

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

When the intel ssd toolkit is available for release, one can see the S.M.A.R.T attribute "Media Wearout indicator". This count goes from 100 down to 1, where 1 is when it reached the max number of erase cycles. My officemate who is using his Gen1 SSD for 8 months now (heavy user), the wearout indicator is at 96. This means that only 4 wear-indicator units got used in 8 months. This translates to a useful life of 16 years. Intel did a good job on wear-levelling and write amplification algorithms.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

JFYI, an Intel representative said on September 12 in Akihabara that Intel would release "Intel SSD Toolbox" hopefully in Q4, until public release of Windows 7. He showed a screenshot of the "SSD Toolbox" and touched on three SMART attributes related to SSD end of life, namely E1: Host Writes ("LBA's written" in the screenshot), E9: Media Wearout Indicator and E8: Available Reserved Space. The screenshot can be seen in http://akiba-pc.watch.impress.co.jp/hotline/20090912/image/ssd6.html a Japanese site.

So, I think information on Intel SSD's remaining life time can be checked in very near future.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

So it's just HEX, we can convert it to decimal and use any S.M.A.R.T. tool to check it now

E1=225=Host Writes "LBA's written"

E8=232=Available Reserved Space

E9=233=Media Wearout Indicator

Message was edited by: w00thisButtonDo

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

A little bit more information... informal, not from Intel

Specific attributes possibly used by Intel

232 - Endurance Remaining aka "Media Wearout indicator".

233 - Unknown

and Reallocated Sector Count used as non-standart implementation (no RAW data, parameter grows up) to count used "spare flash"

More information is not avaible for public today