cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to reflash SSD with same firmware

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I need to reflash my both Intel X25-M with the latest firmware but tool doesn't let me cause it's already running latest version. Reason why is that under Windows 7 Raid 0 of these two scores only 5.9. I thought that SATA controller on my x58 motherboard went bad, so i got a new motherboard and same thing! I think something wrong is going with drives and they probably need to be reflashed, that might fix a problem. Just to say that Windows 7 always scored 7.9 before.

32 REPLIES 32

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If you are doing RAID, TRIM will not function with firmware and you will get that low score. The SSD Toolbox, used for manual TRIM or scheduling TRIM, will not work in a RAID environment:

<!--  /* Font Definitions */  @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520092929 1073786111 9 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:"Neo Sans Intel Medium"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-alt:Arial; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} @font-face {font-family:"Neo Sans Intel"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-alt:"Segoe Script"; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;}  /* Style Definitions */  p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

Installation Requirements

· A Microsoft Windows* operating system; Windows XP, Windows Vista* or Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit versions)

· .NET Framework 2.0

· Disk Defragmenter is turned off (Windows Vista* or Windows* 7) or not running (Windows XP).

· At least 10 MB of free space on your drive

· A non-RAID configuration

· A non Dynamic Disk configuration

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I can switch to IDE mode to flash firmware. All i need to force same firmware again. As I said Windows 7 x64 WEI scored 7.9 always with my SSD Raid 0 configuration and things started messing up a month ago now it scores only 5.9 no matter what with RAID on or off. Tried also ACHI on single SSD and it's still stuck at 5.9. My last attempt would be to reflash these drives with latest firmware, and maybe there is switch in command line to force same. If this doesn't help i will ditch SSDs, technology is immature.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The SSD will score 7+ when new and go down if not TRIMMED.

RAID does make a difference with regard to TRIM.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I would not be in a hurry to condemn Intel SSDs based on a WEI score--even a big decline in WEI score. I put together six systems, one with Raid, and ,every time after the install initial WEI was 5.9 for Data Transfer. After a time of testing and installing other stuff, WEI jumped to 7.8 for single and 7.9 for Raid. Also, the graphics score went from 5.9 to 7.4. Early on I thought that the change was due to eventually overclocking the processor from 2.6 to 4.0. But I re-tested that later at CPU 2.6 and found no change in Data Transfer and Graphics--or even CPU score. So, something else changed.

I ran other tests on the hardware and did not see any difference tracking the WEI scores. So, maybe the WEI process is influnced by some other factor.

Here is an AS SSD test on a Raid0 array, 2xIntel G1 80GB that produces a WEI sub-score of 7.9. This is using the Win7 default Raid driver iaStorV. Give this test a try. Your scores should be better than mine. But, if, not, then you should be able to see where yours is having problems.