cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 320 firmware buggy?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/do-ssd-drives-really-fail-lot-t4035508.html http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/do-ssd-drives-really-fail-lot-t4035508.html

Be wary of the new Intel SSD 320 series. Currently, there's a bug in the

controller that can cause the device to revert to 8MB during a power failure. AFAIK they have not yet publicly announced it, and won't have a firmware fix ready for release until the end of July. We had an SSD 320 600GB 2.5" SATA drive in for evaluation from our Intel rep. I was able to kill it in two or three hours by power cycling it. Apparently (according to the Intel rep) when the power failure is happening, the SSD device tries to reconnect with the SATA port instead of initiating a proper shutdown. Something to do with interrupt priority being higher for reconnection rather than a proper shutdown.

I don't know how much truth is to this post. Has there been any official acknowledgement of this problem?

125 REPLIES 125

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

What a disaster....

Does anyone know a way to email Intel support (a human being, that is) directly? Their site sends you on a wild goose chase trying to get you to solve your own problem with existing FAQs etc. I even filled out an email form, but when I clicked submit it gave me a message saying that it was going to search the site resources for a solution or something. I'm pretty sure my message was never sent to a real person.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I've bought Four drives. Two of them have failed. I guess Intel doesn't include firmware failures in the MTBF!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi.

A plead to intel.

At our company, we order a lot of theese drives for our employees - so far, i'd estimate we have around 600 x Intel 320's (80 gb and 160 gb) + 250-300 drives each month going on from now.

To our big dissapointment, we also see this issue with drives reverting to 8 MB.

out of a current total of approximatly 600 drives in business so far, we have had 7 drives dieing by this error. (all within 3 months of time)

We would really like to hear some kind of information/acknowledgement of this issue from an Intel representative, and an estimate timeline of when this could be fixed.

BR

Martin // Teamlead IT Helpdesk

Alan_F_Intel
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

We have started a new thread on this issue where updates will be posted.

Rgds,

Alan

Intel NVM Solutions Group

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hardly a thread, more like a holding statement if I'm looking at the right post '/message/131623# 131623 SSD power loss report updates' (wouldn't a link to the referred post have been a good idea ?)