cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing DuckieHo, Intel SSD Communities' first Moderator!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Everyone,

I wanted to take a quick second to introduce our communities site (and Intel's first ever!) moderator, DuckieHo. He's a well-seasoned SSD expert and is here to help answer your solid-state storage related questions. DuckieHo will be meeting periodically with myself and Intel engineers to make sure he's got the best possible information and that users' concerns will be heard. If you've got any questions/concerns, please voice them here, but if not, come say what's up to DuckieHo!

-Scott, Intel Corporation

13 REPLIES 13

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks Scott. I am not an Intel employee but I am here to assist everyone with their SSD questions and guide discussions. I am pushing Scott and Intel to disclose more information about their SSDs. Hopefully, this information will help us understand the benefits, the workings, and optimal setup of SSDs.

A little background about myself...

• Financial System Developer by day, technology/science enthusiast by night
  • Moderator at Overclock.netand EVGA.com
  • Former EVGA support contractor
  • BS in Computer Engineering

If you have any questions or concerns that the community cannot address, I hope to escalate Intel to be resolved.

Thanks again!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi DuckieHo, congratulations. I look forward to seeing more of your posts.

I have a question for you to get you started

My understanding is that when the OS sends a TRIM command if the command is not successfully completed Win 7 will stop sending TRIM commands. If that is right what happens if you have a HDD and then create an image and install the image on a SSD? Will Win 7 restart the TRIM commands?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The OS does not know if the TRIM command is completed by the SSD anyways. It does not know if the driver supports TRIM nor does the SSD respond that TRIM was successful. Windows sends enables the TRIM command when ever it detects a storage device with 0RPM. This is what "fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify" tells you. This is why the only way to know if TRIM is actually working is through testing.... hitting it with massive volume of random data with TRIM and benching shortly after to see how the drive performs.

We hope to have a technical TRIM-related article up soon. You will be interested so stay tuned!

redux wrote:

My understanding is that when the OS sends a TRIM command if the command is not successfully completed Win 7 will stop sending TRIM commands. If that is right what happens if you have a HDD and then create an image and install the image on a SSD? Will Win 7 restart the TRIM commands?

by default, windows 7 always sends trim commands regardless of what kind of drive you install it on. disabledeletenotify is always 0 by default unless you change it.