cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermitent Game Freezes with SSD

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

While I'm playing a specific online game(LOTRO), my screen will freeze. The sound and cursor are sill operational and usually after a few secs(10-25), it will unfreeze and I can resume playing. After hours/days of troubleshooting numerous items this is what I have found:

- A new windows 7 install on the WD 640GB HDD and no game freezes.

- A new windows 7 install on the Intel SSD and game freezes.

The SSD has the latest firmware and is using AHCI. It only appears to happen on this game. I've played numerous other games on this drive with no apparent issues. I've been working with LOTRO support and have finally narrowed it down to this as the cause. Would appreciate any help on resolving this. Thanks

11 REPLIES 11

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for the response. Most of the settings this article refers to I had already set. A couple of days ago after posting this I decided to try updating/replacing the Microsft AHCI controller driver with Intels new RST driver which supports Trim. So far the results look promising. I'll post an update once I finish testing.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I just wanted to update this in hopes that it will help someone else with this problem. The problem has been fixed by replacing the Window 7 default msahci drive controller with the new Intel RST driver.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks mthortsen, I've been investigating the same issue on my machine today and your solution solved it for me too.

Does anyone know if Intel and/or Microsoft are aware of this problem?

Here's a screenshot from Windows 7 Resource Monitor showing a 1000 ms (or 1 second) delay when trying to write to a save game file, it didn't happen on every write but it happened enough that the game would keep freezing.