cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD with ICH9 controllers

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

I have an ASUS P5KC motherboard with P35 ICH9 chipset.

I previously bought an SSD drive from another vendor, and it wouldn't work well.

Once every day or two I would find my computer in a "Please enter bootable media" mode, and the BIOS would not detect the SSD drive, until I physically powered off the PC and turned it back on (CTRL-ALT-DEL wouldn't do it).

After some conversations with the product's support I was told that ICH9 is an old controller that didn't work well with SSD.

I wanted to know if intel drives suffer from the same (or other) problems with these older controllers before I purchase a new intel drive to replace my old one.

Does anyone use an intel drive with ASUS P5K motherboards that can say for certain? Anyone use P5KC specifically?

Thanks.

EDIT: Specifically I'm interested in the 510 SSD, 120GB (I know my mobo is not SATA3, but I'll upgrade it at some point...)

7 REPLIES 7

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, I have Asus P5Q3 mobo and Intel 510 120 GB and everything works OK- no boot problems or something like this. Your problems could be caused by old BIOS of your ICH9 controller, as far as I know it should be at least equal to 8.xx or bigger, earlier versions have some problems with SSD drives.

And my Pioneer DVD-writer blocked my Windows boot process after adding the SSD drive to the system. Solution: move the DVD drive to Marvell controller.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

I have the latest official BIOS (1203), how would I know what version of ICH9 BIOS I have?

Is there a way to separately update the ICH9 BIOS or would I have to find a custom BIOS that includes a newer version of ICH9 within it?

Would you happen to know where I could find one if needed?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

After some conversations with the product's support I was told that ICH9 is an old controller that didn't work well with SSD.

Utter and complete nonsense. ICH9 series southbridge are used in enterprise-grade servers and work fine with SSDs; the same goes for the ESB2 series southbridge and the ICH7 series southbridge (even older than the ICH9!). If you want proof of this I can provide it. Was this told to you by Asus technical support? If so, they seem to have /message/128345# 128345 employed some morons as of late.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Actually it was OCZ support.

Could it be a problem with the older BIOS version of the ICH9 (and can it be fixed?), or should I just ask for RMA?

Thanks!