cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD + Diskeeper's "HyperFast" technology

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Aloha!

Wondering if anybody here has utilized a recent version of Diskeeper with HyperFast for their SSDs. Based on my discussions with folks at Diskeeper, the basic mechanism at work in HyperFast "preemptively forces the file system to write sequentially rather than randomly, which will cause typical-use to generate less erase-write activity, thereby increasing device longevity."

They also stated, "If the MFT record of a file points to a 1,000 file extents then NTFS will issue a thousand individual I/O requests to read the file regardless of whether the physical disk is mechanical or solid state." Ergo, their defragmentation engine works to optimize the "file extents" into fewer operations (this is apparently what InvisiTasking does in the background).

Their white paper shows results from older SSD tech, and not any higher-end products like the Intel SSD.

By my understanding, the software does nothing in the way of realigning data on the physical flash pages of an SSD nor "trimming" as some of you wish for, but only by optimizing the file system's logic to speed up file operations.

I am wondering if anybody here has tested this product on their SSD-based systems and noticed any significant difference in performance. I currently use X25-E drives but would like to hear anyone's experience for the M series, also.

Respectfully,

William
2 REPLIES 2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

"which will cause typical-use to generate less erase-write activity, thereby increasing device longevity"

In theory you will throw out your INTEL SSD just because it is obsolete, not faulty. So the main concept is wrong.

Any software solution is always worst then similar hardware solution. Intel did good job to write own Wear Leveling Algorithms where diskkeeper technology looks like puff and imho useless for Intel SSDs.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi William,

HyperFast is designed to improve write performance on SSDs. On the SSDs for which it is applicable, it offers a great performance gain. That said, I've personally tested the Intel drives and, unless you have really unusual usage, you won't need to optimize them with this tool.

-Michael Materie

Diskeeper Corporation