cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help, X25-M (G2) operating in SATA 1 mode

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I just got my SSD drive and am very happy with it. Although I'm having trouble with Intel X25-M (G2) SSD only operating in SATA 1 mode. The disk is installed in a fresh released laptop Acer Aspire Timeline 4810TG with OS Windows7. I presume the laptop should is SATA2. So, how can I change the disk to operate in SATA2? Any ideas? Also, the BIOS is set to AHCI mode as it should be (default) for best performance.

17 REPLIES 17

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Looking at the specs on your laptop, it would appear the controller is SATA only. If I were you I'd get in touch with Acer to clarify the issue. Even if it doesn't support SATA2 I'm sure you'll notice a huge difference between SSD and a mechanical drive.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I did contact Acer and thy suggested me to

1. Update the Intel chipset drivers.

2. If doesn't work then update to latest BIOS.

So I did and still it doesn't works. Yes, Acer Laptop is SATA2 so is Intel X25-M, maybe I'll just wait for the SSD firmware update to see if it solves the problem.

Sure there's a big difference in speed but still far from the optimal 250MB/s reading. I'm getting only 137MB/s which nearly half the speed.

But that's not the point. I bought the SSD for Speed and I ofcourse also wish for optimal settings to work.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The problem is not the SSD, but your laptop.

Some manufacturers voluntarily limite the SATA speed for power saving or data consistency reasons.

For example Sony VAIO SZ1->7 are limited to Sata 1.5Gbps even if the ICH7M and ICH8M officialy support Sata 3Gbps mode.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thx for the info. I have contacted "The acer guy" an inofficial support site and hopes he knows why Acer has done so on this model. Seems strange to me why the other models1810, 3810, 5810 has SATA300 (I have 4810). Booooh! for Acer. Their phone support was really hopeless. Hopefully I'll recieve an answer from ACER GUY and get back if the problem is resolved.