cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDDerase equivalent for Mac?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have an Intel x25-m G2 drive in a 13" MacBook Pro with the latest firmware (the one causing all the issues on Windows 7). It has been fine, but I'm curious if there's a way to send the secure erase ATA command to the drive like HDDerase does.

I've made FreeDOS boot discs with HDDerase on it, but it doesn't see the drive (I believe this is because the Mac always has the drive in enhanced SATA mode and I believe HDDerase requires IDE mode -- something I cannot change, nor would I want to in light of the latest firmware issues possibly springing from switching ide/ahci modes for the drive).

I'm sure other Mac users are wondering the same thing.

12 REPLIES 12

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Boot with a Linux live CD (like Kubuntu) and try using hdparm.

More details here:

http://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

You might have to disconnect and then reconnect your disk for the 1st step to work. HDDErase never worked for me.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks, I booted to the CD but at the hdparm info screen it tells me the drive is, indeed, frozen.

The wiki you linked to was great, and it said if this happens you should use an eSata enclosure or try hot-plugging the drive.

I'm reluctant to hot-plug the drive because I don't want to damage it (plus I'll have to take my laptop apart for that). Is hot-plugging safe?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yep! Count me in the same boat. My drive is working perfectly. It would be nice if Intel would also have a MAC utility that does something similar to the Windows utility. Even if it is a "crude" command-line tool. I don't need a GUI.

So Intel guru's, I hope you see this. The MAC users would greatly appreciate it.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I agree. I'm pretty concerned that their SSD Toolbox is Windows-only. I hope that isn't a sign of things to come. They sell the drive to all kinds of users. Such tools should be universal (which really isn't hard if you're willing to use the command line.)

And Intel definitely has the resources (in comparison with their smaller competitors) to create these tools.