cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Intel 510 firmware support GC when using Marvel 9182 controller???

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, just a few questions to clear some confusion.

1/ looks like no Trim support for this drive when running on a Marvell 9182 6gb controller even if using the msachi drivers...correct??

2/ does the Intel 510 support GC at firmware level when running on the Marvell 9182 controller with the msachi drivers??????....what about using the Marvell 9xxxx drivers????

7 REPLIES 7

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Wow!.....so no one can answer question 2 regarding whether Intel 510 SSD supports GC....amazing!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yeah pretty amazing that on an Intell Support forum no one even knows if this drive supports GC, appaling really!

So either no one knows (which I doubt) or no one will spill the beans which may mean you buy a sata III SSD to run on a 6gb controller like the Marvell and you get neither Trim or GC which makes the whole purpose of the drive and controller useless!!.....pathetic if this is the case.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garbage_collection_%28SSD%29# Garbage_collection SSD garbage collection is done purely on a firmware level within the SSD itself, and is completely independent of what controller or driver is used to interface with the SSD. Without getting into the technicalities of how it works, you can just assume it works. 🙂

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

All well and good and understood, my main concern from what I have gathered around the traps is that Intels implementation of GC on the firmware level is non existent.....now I'm not saying that that is gospell hense this thread.

What I really want to know is have Intel implemented GC on the firmware level at all in the 510 series???