cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cluster size other that 4KB on Intel SSD

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:16.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;} @page WordSection1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:70.85pt 70.85pt 70.85pt 70.85pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} -->

Most program and data files are much larger than they were when 4KB became the default value for cluster size.

I would like to know whether there is any inconvenience (other than wasting some space) in having 64KB clusters.

And what performance improvements could I expect while loading today's programs and data files.

The information found on the Internet is rather conflicting.

But Intel certainly has solid measured results.

10 REPLIES 10

RGiff
Contributor

Goggle Paragon Tech. and see what they have to say , while you are there check out the Alignment tool .

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Sorry, but can't you be any more precise with your reference?

Read post by James Walker about PAT

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I read the post about PAT.

Alignment seems to be important for SSD performance, so I will use PAT if someone can provide it (the free offer does not exist any more).

BTW, I have tried to do the right thing by using the align= parameter in diskpart.

But my original question about cluster size other than 4KB is still unanswered.