cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you recover Intel SSD 320 80GB drive after getting the 8MB error?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I've used an Intel 320 80GB drive for about 3 weeks before getting this error. After losing power my pc couldn't find my OS. When I looked the drive said it was only 8MB. I don't recall seeing the "Bad Context 13x Error" anyplace but I'm assuming this is the same issue.

Is there a way to reinitialize the drive back to 80GB and if so is this something I can do or do I have to RMA it?

I was running it as a boot drive on Windows 7 64 bit.

The model number is SSDSA2CW080G3

Serial Number- CVPR136402QQ080GBN

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Look into this forum thread for answers to your question:

/thread/24339?tstart=0 http://communities.intel.com/thread/24339?tstart=0

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Look into this forum thread for answers to your question:

/thread/24339?tstart=0 http://communities.intel.com/thread/24339?tstart=0

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you L10090

I was able to run secure erase and now I have my drive back.

A side note. I WAS running the latest Firware v 1.9.2 when I got the CTX 8MB error .

My confidence is a little shakey in this drive right now. I really hate to reinstall everything and use it again knowing I still run the risk of losing everything again should the power go out or I'm forced to hard boot.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes, I think it's normal to expect confidence to be shaken. There is no denying cases of where this bug has resurfaced with the latest firmware, even cases of new drives. I think Intel are probably working on it (as the 320 series is a current product) but it's hard to know what is going on behind the scenes.

My recommendation to you kawark, would be to take advantage of the decent backup imaging system built into windows 7. You can configure windows to schedule a backup (at whatever frequency you choose, and make it at a time when the computer is not in use). Using the entire system image feature, you can lose your SSD due to this bug (provided you don't lose system power during the backup process!) and all is not lost - simply only what changed since your last back up was made. That way, if you encounter this bug again, simply boot using a windows restore disk, point it to where your image is, point it to the secure-erased-recovered SSD and restore.

You will obviously need a HDD (either internal or external) for this to work. If you have a hybird SSD (boot) + HDD (storage/ etc.) configuration, then it's no issue.

Back ups are a good idea nonetheless, but do not feel like this is intended to solve the 8MB issue; merely a workaround for sudden data loss due to this issue for the time being.

The ball is clearly in Intel's court and I'm sure they realise this.

Cheers

VChan20
New Contributor

My 160GB drive just got the 8MB bug I have the latlest firmware.