cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use my SSD like I used my HDD ?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello,

I recently bought an Intel postville 320 SSD. I didn' t know much about SSDs so I read some articles on internet and now I've got a question.

Before I bought this SSD, I was using an HDD on which I usually install a multiboot consisting of Windows 7 and some Linux distributions. I'm always fiddling with my operating systems to try new things and sometimes I break everything and need to reinstall some of them. Sometimes I also switch from a Linux distribution to another. Therefore I'm often formatting partitions on my HDD usually with GParted.

But on an SSD I wonder what's going to happen to the data that will be on the partitions which I will be regularly formatting.

Will they be erased from NAND or will the controller be informed (maybe thanks to TRIM ?) that they're invalid ?

The reason why I'm asking this is because I read that if an SSD is full of data its performance will be lowered (less over-provisioning -> more write amplification), so I'm afraid that if I'm regularly formatting partitions full of data and if the controller is never informed that after the formatting they must be considered as invalid then on the long run a lot of invalid data are going to pile up leading to poor performance.

Thank you for your help.

0 REPLIES 0