cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying the Intel X25-M G2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, I'm going to be buying the Intel X25-M G2 SSD, I'd like to ask a few questions if anyone knows the answers I'd appreciate it.

Question 1: What's the chance of a SSD just going bad and I lose all of my data?

Question 2: What's the difference between the Intel X25-M G2 SSDs that end with G2C1 and G2R5?

Question 3: I'm looking to buy the 160GB, but I found a 320GB on several german websites,

I'm wondering how come they are on the german websites, but not listed on the Intel site under SSDs?

Is it just really new? or is it a fake? I'd much rather buy the 320GB.

Question 4: The G2 is just being released, I just want to be sure the G3 isn't going to be coming out soon?

I don't think it would be, but I could be wrong.

Question 5: If I waited would the price of the 160GB or the 320GB drop enough to worth waiting for? (in the next few weeks)

If anyone knows I'd appreciate the answer.

Thanks

Kind Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Steelbom,

Q1: I'd say about the same odds as a new mechanical drive dying. If you are planning to install and change a password for the drive, make sure you update the firmware. Normally, this should have already been done, but you might get some of the first stock of drives, those had an issue with this.

Q2:

C1: Plain OEM version, has the plastic spacers to change the height from 7,5mm to 9mm

R5: Boxed retail version with CD, booklet and metal sled for desktop installation

Q3: Those webshops are taking pre-orders, so at least one wholesale distibutor has already entered the 320 Gb drives in their system. The most optimistic ETA for these is 3-4 weeks, but the dates are not guaranteed. So no, I don't think they are fakes, but you might need a little patience.

Q4: I've seen two Intel SSD roadmaps, can't vouch whether they're real or not, but I'd say Gen3 won't be out until well into next year, if that. It wouldn't be good marketing either to give Gen2 only a couple of months of sales.

Q5: That's a tough one. Prices will drop eventually, but whether this will be in the next few weeks I'm not sure. Demand seems high, and for now Intel doesn't seem to be able or willing to roll out enough units.

I hope that answered some of your questions.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Steelbom,

Q1: I'd say about the same odds as a new mechanical drive dying. If you are planning to install and change a password for the drive, make sure you update the firmware. Normally, this should have already been done, but you might get some of the first stock of drives, those had an issue with this.

Q2:

C1: Plain OEM version, has the plastic spacers to change the height from 7,5mm to 9mm

R5: Boxed retail version with CD, booklet and metal sled for desktop installation

Q3: Those webshops are taking pre-orders, so at least one wholesale distibutor has already entered the 320 Gb drives in their system. The most optimistic ETA for these is 3-4 weeks, but the dates are not guaranteed. So no, I don't think they are fakes, but you might need a little patience.

Q4: I've seen two Intel SSD roadmaps, can't vouch whether they're real or not, but I'd say Gen3 won't be out until well into next year, if that. It wouldn't be good marketing either to give Gen2 only a couple of months of sales.

Q5: That's a tough one. Prices will drop eventually, but whether this will be in the next few weeks I'm not sure. Demand seems high, and for now Intel doesn't seem to be able or willing to roll out enough units.

I hope that answered some of your questions.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

1. Although the NAND used in SSD has a finite lifespan nearly all premature failures are due to the controller. Personally I have no additional concerns using SSD over HDD and if anything I have more confidence in SSD.

2. I think this is just the difference between retail and oem. The most important part is the G2.

3. The 320GB version is not released yet, but it will be at some stage.

4. Intel have stated that they will bring out a drive that will saturate the new sata 3 bus when it comes out. I would not hold my breath for a G3. Unless you have a very specific storage need it is unlikely you would see much benefit anyway.

5. Currently retailers are price gouging due to supply problems. How soon before that gets resolved is unknown. It is pushing up the prices of G1 drives and even competitor drives.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for your help guys! very helpful!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Do you guys know that G1 price actually shot up due to the G2 recall and making G1 in huge shortage?

So price may go up and down, depending on market depand. If price is so much of a concern to you, wait until nobody wants it then you buy or from the 2nd hand market......

Frankly speaking, I can't be bothered much....it won't fluctuate crazily like the stocks market....

I guess you're just over-worried. If SSD can't hold the data well, or you love to plug out your SSD most of the time to make it the baby toy..........forget it, you better put all your data in tape drive and access the data from there .... lol!